MDC Nature Center Trails

MDC Nature Center Trails is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Springfield, MO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

canoeing

Beatiful Nature Trails and Natural Wildlife,Flora and Fauna thrive in this area. 3 Miles of Trails (Outer Loop 2.1 Miles) Long Trail-- 1 Hour Boardwalk Trail--(paved) 30 minutes. Savanna Ridge Trail (paved)--15 minutes. Hours Open Daily 8:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. from March 1 to October 31,and 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. during the remainder of the year. The Building is open 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. every day. The Builing area is closed Thanksgiving,Christmas and New Years Day. Please No pets,bicycles,or roller blades,hunting ,fishing,alcholic beverages,collecting. Please remain on trail at all times. Running/Jogging To reduce conflicts between running and other rail uses,please limit running/jogging on trails to posted times.

Hiked all over with my granddaughters. We went for 2 1/2 hours, going from one trail to the next. We had asked multiple people along the way if the "trail looped back to the Nature Center"? Everyone said yes. We ended up in Sequiota Park. Finally a map! It didn't loop back to where we started. We called a taxi.
More maps are needed! We would go again, just make some different trail choices.

A beautiful trail system teeming with flaura and fauna. A number of very nice bridges cross numerous creeks and streams. Excellent for trail runs, getting the kids out of the house, or to get yourself away for nature walks/hikes. It's listed as moderate but, this rating would be directed more toward those who rarely get outdoors and happen to suddenly decide they want to take a walk in the woods. I would lean toward an 'easy' rating for those who regularly engage in hiking and trail running, or those who typically participate in other outdoor activities requiring any amount of physical excursion.

Nice close location but not a lot to look at.

Nice little area outside of the city. Nature trails that are good for walking, and you get some good views of the James River.

I took my 3 kids on the trail.
They had such a great time, they made me take them again before we left town. It had a great nature center at the end to cool off after the trail.

This is the most well cared for trail! Busy on a Sunday morning, but not crowded.
Beautiful views of the river. Lovely wildflowers at almost every turn.

Beautiful! Easy

Easy terrain. Pretty scenery.

One of our quick standby places to hike.

Nice pawed paths, great to go with kids, easy. Lots of squirrels to see, birds and deer.

Pros: pretty scenery, enjoyable trails, multiple trails w/ varied distances, lots of deer to see.

Cons: high traffic on nice days, can hear the highway nearby, no dogs allowed.

Walked the Long Trail, sign said 2.1miles. Might have been a little further than that. BEAUTIFUL colors this time of year. Seen lots of deer even a few babies, also a couple turkey. Place is packed full of squirrels and many birds. It was a nice walk that crosses the river that I was able to enjoy with my dad.

Love going out here! Whether I'm jogging or walking, alone or with loved ones, it's a beautiful peaceful place. Trail is just the right length.

Fun place for family walks. Lots of chances to see wildlife.

Trails were clear. Easy paths. I was hoping for a better idea of exact mileage... Trails were marked with distance but I found it a bit confusing but I didn't get a map from nature center either. It's marked "easy" but there are a few steep hills so not for the out of shape. The nature and wildlife was beautiful. I saw deer, squirrels, many bird species, and a turtle. Was bummed I could hear so much highway noise. I'd do it again.