Matson Hill Park Trail

Matson Hill Park Trail is a 3.8 mile loop trail located near Defiance, Missouri and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October.

not what we expected. we went with the anticipation of hiking for 3miles but the signage on the trail was very unclear and didn't have mileage at all so we ended up accidentally vearing of on oxen mills trail which looped around back to the original trail so I'm not even sure how many miles we actually went and we ended up running most of it because I was going to be late to work because of our "detour". We were out for a little over two hours. lots of parts of the trail very muddy and it hasnt rained in 4 days.

Happened to stumble across this trail and we happened to be at the top...very fun walk down! Don't think I would have been so thrilled had I found it at the bottom. Will certainly be back to check out other trails in the immediate area solely based off this one.

Great trail... a little tougher than I expected, and we ended up doing 3.6 miles somehow??

Lol, there is nothing easy about this trail on a mountain bike. I love it because it has some great fast downhill sections and some really technical sections. I reiterate.....this trail is not easy. I took my wife there and she literally cried she was so frustrated.

Enjoyed our hike on this quiet, well groomed trail. Saw 4 adult deer grazing on the hillside. Encountered one other hiker and a couple of cyclists, on a 70 degree day! Great views and loads of blooming wildflowers!

I love this trail, one of my families favorites.

Beautiful

Just there two days ago and took this trail. Well groomed. Watch out for roots and rocks trip hazards though. Wide, no weeds, no brush, no ticks or chiggers. Only four bike riders and no other hikers. Peace, solitude. Nice views from the top of the hill at trail head.

Great hike, took the extra loops and trails and made it a good workout. Had fun with a couple bikers who passed me and then they would stop to rest and I kept catching up. As soon as they saw me they would take off again. One said I was motivating him to hurry on. I will visit this one again

Great trail for the kids

Great easy to moderate effort hike... would be great for kids. The trail meanders around a cute, rocky creek multiple times, there are great rocks and lots of mushrooms, for a happy mellow hike with no views it was very pleasant. We did the Matson Trail linked with the Oxen Trail. There are three trails at the park that you can link together to get around 6 +miles total. Nice grave parking lot, box full of maps, trails are marked well, even a port a potty at the lot. Directions on the sccmo.org page were spot on... i've attached a link

The Matson Hill and Oxen Mill trails make for a nice five-mile hike. I took my seven and nine-year-old daughters on what was the hottest, most humid day so far of the year and they made it just fine, so this is an easy trail to take kids on. This was their first five-miler. We met only two other hikers and two bicyclists during the late Sunday afternoon hike. If you like trail runs, St. Charles County Parks sponsors three runs with one being through Matson Hill Loop. The run begins at the Katy Trail parking lot at Hwy. 94/Matson Hill Rd., up to the park and around the Matson Hill Loop and then back to the starting point.

Beautiful moderate day hike.

I also had issues getting to the trail, and used Christine's directions instead of AllTrail's instructions. Following Christine's, though, I found myself tackling a very steep gravel road from the Katy Trail/Route 94. This road ends at a paved road, which I used to get back down the hill after my hike. I found there a less (scary) route to get to the trail head, by taking Defiance Rd or Howell Rd. and coming in from the north end of Matson Hill Road. This part is paved. If you are interested in a drive through wine country, you can come up from the south by taking Schluersburg Rd from Route 94 to Duke Rd (slight right at fork). Duke Rd then turns into Matson HIll Rd about a 1/2 mile from the trail head (still on paved surface). Where Duke Rd turns into Matson HIll Rd, the gravel portion of Matson Hill Rd branches off. Don't turn there, but continue on the paved portion, to the trail head. Here is a link to the area: http://goo.gl/maps/kjXDL . Bring the bug spray! High population of ticks on this trail.