Lower Rock Creek Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fredericktown, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
dogs on leash
When you pass the gate, turn immediately to the left (south), cross the stream and follow the trail back to the creek, then travel right (west) the best you can on the north side of the creek. An unofficial trail comes and goes. The tumbling creek and high bluffs make this a wonderful area. Many nice areas to camp.
Go if you want a rugged yet rewarding experience. A few things you should note if you want to hike here:
1. There is rugged "Jeep trail" to the "trail head." If you have a small car you may want to park out on 511 and walk in.
2. There is no official trail maintained by any park service. The path to the creek isn't obvious.
3. Once you get to the creek, there is no trail. There are a few beaten paths in some areas, but you will be choosing your own path most of the time. If you follow a beaten path going out, there is no guarantee you will find it coming back. You will be taking frequent tree twigs to the face.
4. The pink rock is extremely slippery when wet. Losing your footing can result in a fall onto other jagged rocks or a slide down into the creek.
5. There are lots of dangerous snakes in the area.
there are two trails. when you start the hike, go left. that's the real trail. it will take you to the st Francis river. very beautiful. only a few miles total. of you go right at the beginning of the trailhead, it'll take you straight up the hill. very steep. while it was a fun trail and ended up doing about 5 miles on that portion, the trail completely disappears in any direction.
Did not like this hike at all. Downed trees at every turn and constantly having to work around that and the trail was flooded at one point. Also difficult to follow the trail. No markings. Also no trail head markings or place to park.
Beautiful area. Stream & rock formations - with small waterfalls throughout. Explored both up stream & downstream. Gorgeous hike & canyon. And in the winter - no snakes - yea!
Wonderful scenic area with tumbling creek, waterfalls, tall cliffs, great backpacking and camping area. Won't disappoint.
Difficult trail marked and unmarked areas, some bushwacking, some rock hopping...not for the beginner. Awesome views for sure.
This place was great! There trail is cake and the creek is way cool. not sure if it is running year round. I went in the spring and it was full. Obviously. Oh, and watch out for snakes...