Lone Spring Trail

Lone Spring Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Troy, MO that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lone Spring Trail consists of two three mile loops, one north and one south of hwy KK. The trail is named for a perennially flowing spring the emerges in the valley at the base of a ridge. The northern portion of Lone Springs Trail, which is open to hikers and backpacker only, loops through Northwoods Wild Area and crosses Big Sugar Creek, a designated state natural area. The southern loop of this trail is particularly nice in the spring when the dogwood and wild flowers are in bloom.

Very pleasant stroll through the woods. The portion of the trail north of Highway KK is more interesting and scenic, and that is the portion with the spring. The trail is in very good shape and is clearly marked.

I hiked this trail on 4/1/16. It was an overcast weekday and I did not see anyone the entire hike. It has rained in recent days so there were some muddy spots in lower parts of the trail, other than that the trail was in great shape. There are four or five creek crossings but no big deal. This trail is very well marked with several white connection trails that allow you to extend or shorten as you desire.
This trail is restricted to equestrian and bike traffic, there is one designated campsite on this trail but you can camp anywhere along the trail as per the standard 100 feet off trail. I would recommend getting a trail map at the ranger station as there are few maps available for this trail.

Hiked again today, still one of my favorites. Well marked with fresh ribbons on trees. The spring was bubbling out water. Its a good workout with lots of dips and hills..

sucks, closed for Hunting!!!!!

We had originally drove here from across the state to walk the Cuivre River Trail and the park ranger suggested the Lone Spring Trail for its remote camping and spring. I can't say enough about how helpful they were at the ranger station and answered all of our questions. We were pleasantly surprised at how well the trails were maintained and marked and we never had to go far without seeing the blazes. I am very fussy about giving out five stars but our group agreed that this was one of the best trails in Missouri so far. They also have at least a dozen other trails there, several of which were not represented on All Trails. When we checked back into the station we were questioned about the trail and asked if any logs were in the trail way that we had to climb over. I mentioned we had four or five and he said he would have someone get back out and get them cleared right away. We also covered the Frenchman's Bluff trail with great views, but unfortunately it was one that All Trails doesn't report so I'm unable to post a review. If you live anywhere near this trail it must be put on your short list.

Hiked this again and its one of my favorites. It is close to home and has a wonderful spring and a lake along the trail. Well marked and my favorite in cuivre river state park.

Have been on the lone spring trail 3 times. It is hard to find a decent map of Cuivre River state park online, but I highly recommend stopping in the park office and getting one from them. Everything is clear on that map. Spent the night on this trail one time not at the designated camp because it was occupied, but that was ok because in the process of looking for a good campsite we discovered an abandoned grain silo in the woods. On another occasion we used the backpack camp. It is a nice place, and the spring is just down the hill maybe 5 min or so. The spur trail to the lake at the northern end of the park is nice, stopped here to eat lunch at the covered pavilion and picnic tables a couple different times.

Trail is poorly marked and does not match the park map. Hiked it with my dog. I've spent the last 2 hours pulling ticks off of myself. I stayed on the Trail, and I have quit counting after 300 ticks on just my legs.

Started my hike midway up Big Sugar Creek Trail and used Connector Trail 6 to reach Lone Spring Trail and camped at a designated campsite on Lone Spring Trail. Trails were maintained fairly well but did have a few downed trees on the pathway with the largest one at about knee height. Thus the downed trees were not an issue. The trails I hiked cut through heavily wooded areas allowing many opportunities to see wildlife. I was able to see 4 deer, a possum, and a fox although they did not want their picture taken. For those people who like hiking near creeks, streams, and other water features you should know all the creek beds I passed were completely dry. This was the only disappointment I had. At one point on Lone Spring Trail there was a natural spring which feed a small pool of water a couple inches high. Overall this hike is excellent and I would recommend that you try this trail and decide for yourself if you like it.

Great hiking with some really nice views. I enjoy going off trail and following one of the many dry creek beds that will eventualy meet up with the trail again.

I've hiked a couple miles of this trail with the kids and hiked the entire 6 miles solo. It is a relatively easy hike with a lovely little spring early in the hike. Remember folks, Missouri is not Colorado or the Appalachians, but it is a very pleasant walk and during the week very quiet and peaceful. I also spotted some familiar wildlife along the trail as well as wildflowers during our spring hike. Cuivre River State Park tends to have an Ozark feel to it. There are also several intermittant streams, though I have rarely seen them flowing.