Goggins Mountain Trail

Goggins Mountain Trail is a 10 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lesterville, MO that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

10.0 miles Loop

Goggins Mountain Trail passess through the Goggins Mountain wild area following the mountain ridge line about 1.5 miles This loop trail passes through the Goggins Mountain Wild Area 5,000 acres of oak-hickory forest wilderness, a critical habitat for many songbirds and other animals. Free of roads, powerlines and other development, visitors can experience something increasingly hard to find wilderness. To extend the hike, use the White Connector that connects Goggins Mountain Equestrian Trail to the Taum Sauk Section of the Ozark Trail.

This being my first hike of this length I have to say it was a great start!! Great views along with some challenging sections( at least for a old fat guy). Really enjoyed it though!

Nice trail. The start will take you over a few creeks to get your feet wet, bushwack a little or take the road that's ten feet away to avoid them. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. Once you make the climb at the start you'll find nice glades and some decent overlooks, though you might have to get off the trail just a little to get the views. You can see Taum Sauk, the scour, and a pretty valley view for a good portion of the eastern section of the trail. Western side of the hill is pretty, make sure to take the OT spur to check out the overlook on the southwest corner of the loop. It takes 5 minutes at most. Some of the trail is an old road, wide and rocky. There was a little horse pooh and such but it wasn't bad.

Note to hikers: Don't make fires on rocks! The heat cracks the rocks and makes them break down. A one hour fire causes more damage than a few hundred years of erosion, and then everyone has to look at your mess, and no more glades!

This was our first hike of the season. It was a great first hike, the terrain was relatively flat for most of it. It did rain on us and parts of it were a bit muddy, since it's an equestrian trail parts of it had been used recently and that's where most of the mud was. Lots of pretty open patches along the way you could hop off the trail and walk to but the scenery otherwise wasn't much. At the start we did end up walking through several creeks where my hiking partner did get her feet wet right at the get go, so that was not fun, but otherwise a good first trail for the year.

This trail was very cool. I backpacked it starting at Johnson Shut-ins Camp grounds on Hwy MM. The trail starts right at the entrance to the camp ground. I did not complete the 10 mike loop trail of the Goggins. Instead I crossed over to the OT ( Ozark Trail ) where the cross over is at one of the beautiful glades. I got a late start and made it there at 5pm. They ask you set up camp 2ml past the cross over ( there is no camping on the Goggins ). Once on the OT I traveled NW to find a very rocky mountainess trail marked with both tree tags and stacked rocks. This part was semi difficult as the trail went on it descent the markings were less and eventually faded all together. The area was hilly and rocky and dins to camp, so I decided to try to navigate the trail for a better place to camp. I was unable to find the trail and lost my way back. Do to night fall and rain the Lord provided me a safe area, rocky and just enough room to set up my tent. There I stayed till sun rise reading a book and listening to the rain, praying it wouldn't get to bad and wash me out. By morning my prayers were answered and I was able to navigate my way back up the mountain side through the thick woods to the GT. I was able to get back to my camp by 11am and told a ranger there that this part of the OT is not well traveled and poorly marked. Well God did provide me the adventure I wanted and delivered me back quick and safe. The Goggins is a good hike, a little grassy this time of year do to kids back in school and less traveled.

Watch out for the road apples, God bless and be safe. MaGoo