Elk River Trail

Elk River Trail is a 21 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Pineville, MO that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for camping, fishing, and canoeing and is accessible from March until November.

21.0 miles Point to Point

canoeing

Elk River: Pineville, MO to Hwy 43, near the Oklahoma border, it is a twenty-one mile float trip with class I and some class II water. It flows through a forested country side with some towering bluffs in a undeveloped corner of southwest Missouri.

We drove down here from Joplin, and found out this is not a trail - even though it's in a trail app. I guess I should have read the comments first. It wasn't too far from Huckleberry Ridge, so we ended up going there.

canoeing

The river is nice. Beautiful actually. This is not a family friendly River though unless you go to a part without people or during the week. The people are quite honestly trash. It's horrendous as an under statement. I have seen topless women and heard of people having sex on the banks. People go there to fornicate and intoxicate. Just go when the idiots are gone and it's great

canoeing

Lots of people here but there is enuf water here to float all Summer. Even with all the people it's way better than sitting on the couch.

canoeing

Great river to canoe. Rated as class I-II. Clear water, beautiful scenery, and very peaceful and relaxing.

canoeing

I have floated from Cyclone to the city of Noel in different sections for over 15 years. I used to enjoy the crowds when I was younger and into the partying that this river is known for but these days I look for quite rivers to float. This is not a child friendly river, nor is it a quite river. The overabundance of outfitters is definitely ruining the river. There are too many people on the river that do not respect the "pack in pack out" philosophy, and the river is being trashed. The upper section of the river is by far less crowded than the lower section.

That being said, the river is nice during the off season. There are great places to fish all along the river and there are several public access points along the river that one can launch and take out on.

The fishing is decent on both ends of the river using a 3" watermelon seed tube jig with a 1/8 ounce jig head. This is all you need to catch fish on this river.

canoeing

The Elk river is a lazy float with some nice scenery. Great for families. Not heavily floated. Good for a quiet peaceful float, not for white water action.