Cuivre River State Park Campground

DIFFICULTY 11 reviews

Cuivre River State Park Campground is located near Troy, MO. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round.

Frenchmans bluff has a great view, hiked about 6 miles today

Trail was mostly overgrown and there were an amazing amount of insects. Paths do not seem to be well trodden.

Not a fan of this area at all. The campsites are small and scrunched together very tightly. The hiking is slightly boring in the area with not much to see except trees.

It wasn't easy finding the start of Cuivre River Trail (South Loop) but I did at the end of Park Rd. The first .25 mile was boring but once you go done into the valley, it turns for the better. The trail follows the creek bed and there are some great areas to appreciate, even with the leaves fallen. I saw quite a few deer, too, and they let you get close before bouncing off into the woods. I went for photography purposes and will post pics later.

We completed the Blackhawk trail for a total of 5.75 miles. Very beautiful!

Park has done interesting history, built by the CCC in the 30's so lots of stone pavilions, bridges, etc. They have an 18 point orienteering course there with some interesting finds, but beware the poison ivy it's everywhere. Lots of ticks too. Trails are just trails, most are equestrian as well. We go to get the dog exercise sometimes but just beware of poison ivy and ticks.

The woods are beautiful. The park has a lot to offer. I think that the bathrooms need to be cleaner and more staff is needed to work the park. We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the outdoors here.

There are several trails within the Cuivre River State Park, there isn't a "campground trail" though, as title suggests although there are several campgrounds in the park.

I hiked the North Cuivre River Trail Loop today. Trail is well marked both with blazes on trees and signs. It is muddy but very passable. The north loop is four miles and is primarily wooded with a few creek crossings.

Finding the trailhead is hard as there are no signs once inside the park. Do some research on the website and then load that into google maps.

There are several trails here. On a sunday afternoon, it was pretty much just us. The ranger said the campgrounds were full Friday and Sat. We hiked the the prairie, mossy hill and blazing star trails. At SLTToday suggested, it was a great place for fall colors. The trails have a bit on up & down to them, so they are fun to hike on (vs the flat that is pretty prevalent out here, at least in my neck of the woods). There are several types of trees, a bit of prairie, and a lake there. We plan to go back to check out the other trails.