Courtois: Onondaga Cave to Bass Resort

Courtois: Onondaga Cave to Bass Resort is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Leasburg, MO that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, horses, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

12.2 miles 1931 feet Point to Point

cave

old growth

We went off the trail near the nice lookout around mile 8.

April is an excellent time to go. Good temperature, bugs not out yet but wildflowers in full bloom. Saw an incredible variety of flowers. The best spot was along the bluff base by Bat cave just after (wet) crossing the Courtois river. Saw lots of large birds as well like Heron, Turkey Vultures, an Eagle and Osprey and several I wasn't sure of. Heard several 0wls and turkey. Beautiful camp on bluff top at mile 8 overlooking the Huzzah. At Bass resort we rented a canoe and floated the Courtois/Huzzah/Meramec back to our car including a night camping on a gravel bar. Excellent trip. Joe King has uploaded an excellent track file. Note: The flood of Dec 2016 left many trees down in the water which made for tricky canoeing but not bad if you know what you are doing.

Excellent trail thru backcountry Ozark mountains. My friends and I did this last summer in the August heat and I don't recommend going at that time of year. Trail essentially runs up and down the entire length with very little flat. We camped overnight and did the full hike in 2 days. We're going again in a few weeks and hope to fare better against mother nature. BRING TICK SPRAY!