Chinquapin Trail

Chinquapin Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pineville, MO that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This Trail starts near the River and then goes up a canyon to the top of a Hill This is a beautiful uphill walk to the top of a hill. In the Fall you can see to the Creek, but when the leaves are on you have very limited visibility.There is one Cache in the area. The rock formations along the bottoms give a good idea of the erosion that has occurred. There are many overhangs and small caves in the area as well.

Our visit was on a drizzly Monday in November, and the gloomy weather didn't spoil this trail one bit. The creek bed, rock formations and bluffs, and varied vegetation make this trail a "must." I feel like a visit in winter might reveal some neat small waterfalls and cascades if the creek fills up.

The trail gets a little hard to find at one point, but the dog knew right where he was going. Other than that one spot, the yellow blazes make this a very easy trail to follow. There are restrooms at the trailhead, and the ranger was cleaning them when we arrived - thank you!

loved how secluded it felt. peaceful trail.

Really secluded trial. The trial is very narrow with foliage over it at parts. It also zig zags across the creek bed. Definitely be aware of ticks. Good trail for some peace and to break a sweat!

I would recommend taking the loop to the right going counterclockwise which will give you the least uphill climb. however, the left side is my personal favorite side I would recommend checking out if you do not plan on finishing the entire loop.

fun little hike when you want something nice and fairly easy. Expect encounters with ticks, so bring bug spray.

I was blown away by this trail. it was harder and easier that I thought all at the same time. Beautiful and secluded. I would be nervous taking children(especially younger) the full length, especially the back half, due to rugged terrain and drop offs. There are many, many areas where you have to pay attention while walking. Make sure you load up on the tick repellant and sunscreen and you're good to go!

you will cross water be prepared!

Awesome little loop trail. A little creek follows most of the trail and must be crossed several times. The creek was low and easy to cross but had enough water to provide small water falls, crystal clear pools, and the sounds of running and falling water. The nature and scenery are quite diverse and include features such as moss covered trails, fern covered hillsides, solid rock creek bed, lots of rock outcrops and small bluff lines. It's an easy trail and would be a great one for families. I plan to go back in the spring.

Nice day hike on an easy trail. Very quiet & peaceful on a warm December day. I've hiked the trail 3 times in the past 5 days. Nice place to get away and think and see some beautiful rock formations and bluffs. I'm an avid barefoot hiker and it gets pretty rocky in some places but it is a nice trail to hike barefoot...just have some shoes handy just in case. Next time I'll take my hammock and string it up and just enjoy the silence. Can't wait to see what it looks like in the Spring.

This is a fun little trail for somebody just looking to be out in the woods. There's nothing too dramatic as far as scenery goes, still worth checking out.

The best part is at the east end of a loop you will come to a clearing. Keep looking to your right, there is a old piece of farm equipment that a tree has nearly engulfed over time. It's pretty incredible to see.

My family and I loved this trail. The kids had a blast with all of the stream crossings, and my wife and I enjoyed the many photogenic moments that came about from the beautiful wild flowers and the bedrock streams.
The trail was a bit over grown, and the warm day made it plenty buggy, so we checked for ticks a couple of times just to be sure.
We saw a deer, or maybe an elk, as it ran away (whatever it was, it was big). We also had a snake cross our path, which gave the kids a good scare.
All in all, it was fun trail. It can be narrow at times, and runs close to some cliffs, but it was a good hike and a great day trip for the family.

Free.

Not paved. Hard to find.

Good for hyper dogs as not crowded at all. Nice scenery. Some uphill. Nice little stream.

Once we found the place, it was a great hike. Different types of terrain making it interesting and fun. Love the little yellow square tags on the trees. Gave us a sense of security knowing we were still following the trail. 60 degree weather in December made it a great day to hike.

Good for exercise and getting away from people. It is nothing terribly exciting though. The left side of the loop is the scenic part as it follows a larger creek bed and has some pretty rock formations and bluffs. Looked to be some little caves up the hill too. It is rocky. Bigger, unstable rocks.

Decent hike, short, scenic, and not technical at all. We brought the whole family... 6 month old, 2 year old, 5 year old and a teenager. Trails are well marked, a little narrow in a few spots, but nothing the troop couldn't handle on their own.
My only recommendation ... bug spray, seed ticks are abundant!

This is an absolutely gorgeous trail and definitely one of my favorites. I would suggest going when the weather's been dry because you cross the riverbed many times. It is somewhat difficult and narrow at points, but it's worth it. There's also an option for a shorter trail which is nice if you don't want to do the whole thing. I would definitely recommend this trail.