Big Sugar Creek Trail

Big Sugar Creek Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Troy, MO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Clear water spring, bluff views. The trail head for Big Sugar Creek Trail is located on the west side of the park road, midway between Camp Derricotte and Camp Sherwood Forest. The trail traverses much of the Big Sugar Creek Wild Area, including Sugar Bluff, a bottomland forest along Big Sugar Creek. The trail also passes through steep fern- and moss-covered hollows dissecting the watershed. The trail is open to hikers throughout, and to equestrians on the southern half. Overnight camping on the trail is permitted in designated spots for groups of seven or more, whereas smaller groups may camp anywhere at least 100 yards off the trail.

Great little hike for our first time. Not too strenuous, but there were definitely parts that you had to work a little harder for. Found a nice little creek that had water to hang out at and rest for a bit, but most of the waterways were dry.

Did the blue loop, distance was 3.8 miles. Nothing too difficult but the trail is steeper than the Mt. Bike trails I am used too.
Blue trail was for hikers/backpackers only.
Primitive camp ground at about half way through.
Beware creek crossings (1-2) could be wet.
Pretty country, heavily wooded.

this is one of my favorite places to trailride. we live 30 minutes from Troy and we spend at least 2 weekends a month riding the trails at this park. there are a lot of interesting things to see throughout the park. and it's so peaceful. I really enjoy when we run into hikers with kids. The looks on those faces when they see the horses. It makes my heart happy and I really enjoy when they are interested enough to want to pet them.

It was nice, a little muddy in places water was rolling in creek and fun to hike

amazing trail. no cave.

Hiked this trail today, yesterday hiked the north loop of the cuivre river trail which is 4 miles. The south loop is 7.25 miles as listed in the updated maps at the park. All trails does not list Cuivre river trail at all. I like big sugar creek. The cuivre river trail allows horses so there was lots of chewed up ground where sugar creek does not allow horses so much more friendly for hikers. Regardless, they are both fun hikes and I plan on doing the north loop soon. Hopefully all trails can update there Cuivre river state park trail soon

Hiked this trail during Christmas break from work in 2013. Spent the night at backpack camp 2, heard some coyotes come in pretty close. Saw a few deer and some other animals on the trail. Very nice park overall. I highly recommend stopping at the park office a getting a trail map from them. It makes everything so much clearer than any online map I could find.

Hiked the north loop mid May with my dog, beautiful scenery, many wildflowers in bloom and wonderful view of Big Sugar Creek, I look forward to backpacking to the camp site for a night at some future date.

This is a beautiful little trail. Easy to hike with nice views of cuivre river. The trail takes you above the river and to the river. Very good example of missouri forest...I hiked this trail in the winter but didnt see any of the invasive honeysuckle that taken over in so many of our woods.