Big Piney River: Dog Bluff access to Gasconade River

Big Piney River: Dog Bluff access to Gasconade River is a 77 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Houston, MO that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for camping, fishing, and canoeing and is accessible year-round.

77.0 miles Point to Point

The Big Piney river flows through a near pristine forested area with few signs of civilization. It is class I water with some minor rapids. Numerous sand bars allow for good primitive camping. This flat water river has towering limestone bluffs and heavy native forests.

Great float !!!

I found the Big Piney to be exceptionally pristine. I floated for 2.5 days and only the few miles from the confluence with the Gasconade, was their significant sign of civilization. I only passed two or three fisherman the first two days. A great trip for solitude and a near wilderness experience.

The river is very flat, it was all paddling. I would plan 1.5 to 2 mph when planning a trip. I had one dam to portage around. This dam, at the small power plant was easy to portage around. Stay right when you do. All the web sites tell you there are two dams to portage around. There was supposed to be a second dam below the powerplant. There definately is not!!! What is so funny is it has been gone for decades and is still identified as being there. Even more interesting is I never saw any indication of one having ever existing. The restoration they did was unbelievable.