Tuxachanie Trail

Tuxachanie Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Perkinston, MS that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Wiggins: Travel south on Highway 49. The primary trailhead is located 2.5 miles north of Saucier, Mississippi on the east side of Highway 49. See Airey Lake and P.O.W. Recreation Area for directions to the other trailheads.

bridge is out just past mile post 4 had to turn around.

nice wide trail, easy to follow. Hiked to Airey Lake and back in 3.25 hours with round trip around 11 miles.

This is a nice, very easy trail. A few spots had bridges or planks of wood to cross, but nothing too treacherous. We parked at the trailhead off of 49, and hiked with our puppy and 3 year old to the lake. round trip ended up being just about 15 miles (we wandered around the lake a bit). Everyone was able to do the hike without much trouble except the distance started getting to our 3 year old and the puppy had to be carried part of the way, ha!

Be warned... this place was heavy with ticks. When we got home, we picked about thirteen off of our puppy and found them crawling on our floor and car. Even considering he is on anti tick meds. We didn't really walk through any tall grass. So I guess he was just low to the ground. Bring the DEET, loads of water (there was a fair sized creek nearly halfway that maybe you could filter from but it looked too gross even to me), and lunch and it's a pretty nice day :)

Did this hike on Easter with my pup and it was very easy. Glorified walking trail at time that is perfect for anyone. Not strenuous and not for someone looking for an extreme hike, but you just keep in mind that this is southern Mississippi. Nice find and passes the time while allowing one to be in nature.

I've done this trail a lot in the past and I recently got the chance to go yesterday after being away for awhile and a lot has changed. The bridges seem to be a lot sturdier with new wood, and there's also some fun signs along the way in the beginning. I went about 5 miles in and turned back. It's definitely more eventful in the first two miles with all the scenery and small obstacles. Once you get further in, the view gets a little boring with all the dead trees. I love this trail though, I've gone on it every week for a year.

Beautiful day, nice scenery

Trail is great very scenic and easy to hike. Lots of pine trees with generally a flat terrain. Have only done day hikes but hope to do an overnight soon!

It was good we started at 49 and camped at Airey lake next time will camp at Airey and hike both ways next day from 49 to lake is 5.85 miles toke about 2 hours

My first hike. We hiked from the 49 trailhead to Airey Lake. It was just under 6 miles one way. Trail was mostly downhill and pretty straight for the most part headed to the lake. Going back was tougher. We did it in about two hours. Camped in hammocks at the lake. Next hike: Airey to POW.

completed. Camped at Aire Lake and hiked trails on either side of the lake. Used lake as home camp. Bathroom and fresh water at lake. No elec. Some campers, mostly tents and hammocks. Very nice, quiet and everyone camping was very friendly and helpful. Very nice experience. Trail is easy and mostly strait. One stream between 49 and airy lake looked like it could be drunk from with filter and water treatment.
Very nice.

After we came across the Bigfoot horse trail, the tux trail was hard to follow. so we turned around and slept at the horse trail campground

I just hiked the trail only to find out it is closed approx 3 miles in. There is evidence of fire damage in the area, so I'm not sure when it will open back up.

My husband, cousin and I hiked this trail March 15, 2014. We started at the trail head on 49 and hiked to a little past Airey Lake before turning around and coming back. Round trip was about 13.5 miles and took us about 5 hours due to being rained on coming back. We really enjoyed the trip, and it was super easy as far as trails go. I think it is great for those who would like to do trail running especially. We had planned to go the entire length, but the weather turned pretty nasty so we only made half way. Most of the trail was wide and clear path, with nice bridges crossing the creeks and streams. It's a nice trail for an easy day outdoors, or if you are looking for a distance challenge.

Easy trail, started at trailhead off of Hwy49 to a bit past Airey Lake for 12 mile total out and back in 4 hrs. Trail is well-marked and well-maintained on that route. Could hear gunshots in distance from about 4 miles in to Airey Lake and apparently hunting is legal there. No shooting sign on trail itself which is comforting?

Yesterday I hiked with friends from airey lake toward pow camp. I carried about 30 lbs, we camped just past mile marker 9 by some water. The trail was marked by white diamonds but there were ambiguous areas on which way to turn at crossroads. Too many trails cut across in my opinion. We got turned around and discovered we were going the wrong way. So we camped early. Definitely a gps is good. I did not think I needed one. And water from the airey lake camp for sure unless you have a good filter like I did. Overall fun I guess. I like more scenery. Airey lake on sat. Busy with boy scouts. Noisy.

Hiked 5 miles to campground and back to car at trailhead in 4 1/2 hours. My phone said however it was just over 6 miles??? Trail was mostly flat and very well maintained! Easy hike but as it's June in the south it was hot so bring plenty of water!

well marked but rather repetitive in view. Tons of pine forest scenery and a bit of hardwood mixed in. Certainly a beginner trail, but an enjoyable one-especially to introduce kids to hiking. it looks to be a good horse trail though I don't ride. Horses have a different trail than hikers mostly. It's a good distance trail for MS; but nothing exciting.

Enjoyed this one. Will make for a fun day or weekend.