Tuxachanie Trail

Tuxachanie Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Perkinston, Mississippi that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Wiggins: Travel south on Highway 49. The primary trailhead is located 2.5 miles north of Saucier, Mississippi on the east side of Highway 49. See Airey Lake and P.O.W. Recreation Area for directions to the other trailheads.

Great trial for me well marked and easy to follow there is a lot of nice views and streams u cross

Well marked, nice peaceful easy walk. be prepared to get your shoes wet. There was many low wet spots.

Nice smooth well maintained for the first 3, decent the rest of the way. Trail continues on past to some beautiful lowlands.

We hiked from Hwy 49 to the POW camp. In the first 5 miles, there were 2 bridges out. We had to go through the muddy edges of low spots to cross where the bridge used to be. No way you could have crossed if we had rain. The rest of the trail was maintained until we got to mile marker 11. From mile marker 11-POW(mile 13), there were so many unexpected obstacles. It looks like there was a storm that may have knocked down a lot of trees over the path. We had to climb over and under trees! Also, bridges were out in many areas. One area even had a rope to pull yourself out of a 5' drop where a bridge used to be. The last 3 miles were ROUGH, very unkept, looked like a game trail. This path is usually well kept, disappointed at the end, beautiful from mile 1-10!!

bridge is out just past mile post 4 had to turn around.

nice wide trail, easy to follow. Hiked to Airey Lake and back in 3.25 hours with round trip around 11 miles.

This is a nice, very easy trail. A few spots had bridges or planks of wood to cross, but nothing too treacherous. We parked at the trailhead off of 49, and hiked with our puppy and 3 year old to the lake. round trip ended up being just about 15 miles (we wandered around the lake a bit). Everyone was able to do the hike without much trouble except the distance started getting to our 3 year old and the puppy had to be carried part of the way, ha!

Be warned... this place was heavy with ticks. When we got home, we picked about thirteen off of our puppy and found them crawling on our floor and car. Even considering he is on anti tick meds. We didn't really walk through any tall grass. So I guess he was just low to the ground. Bring the DEET, loads of water (there was a fair sized creek nearly halfway that maybe you could filter from but it looked too gross even to me), and lunch and it's a pretty nice day :)

Did this hike on Easter with my pup and it was very easy. Glorified walking trail at time that is perfect for anyone. Not strenuous and not for someone looking for an extreme hike, but you just keep in mind that this is southern Mississippi. Nice find and passes the time while allowing one to be in nature.

I've done this trail a lot in the past and I recently got the chance to go yesterday after being away for awhile and a lot has changed. The bridges seem to be a lot sturdier with new wood, and there's also some fun signs along the way in the beginning. I went about 5 miles in and turned back. It's definitely more eventful in the first two miles with all the scenery and small obstacles. Once you get further in, the view gets a little boring with all the dead trees. I love this trail though, I've gone on it every week for a year.

Beautiful day, nice scenery

Trail is great very scenic and easy to hike. Lots of pine trees with generally a flat terrain. Have only done day hikes but hope to do an overnight soon!