The Arkabutla Lake Education and Nature Center Trail (ARK) Trail

The Arkabutla Lake Education and Nature Center Trail (ARK) Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hernando, MS that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

2.0 miles Loop

The trail is located in a wildlife sanctuary and consists of 2 miles of woodland walking trails already constructed with future plans for a handicap accessible wildlife demonstration trail. The Trail feature interpretive signs listing area wildlife and tree identification markers. The trail consists of gently rolling hills with little elevation gain and features an outdoor amphitheater that can accommodate small groups for outdoor education classes. Trail-goers will enjoy views of Arkabutla Lake, mixed hardwood forests, swamps and open fields planted for wildlife habitat. At the end of the second loop visitors can get a good view of Arkabutla Lake as the trail winds through the hardwood forest alongside the lake. The ARK Trail is a collaborative effort between the U. S. Army Corp of Engineers, DeSoto County Board of Supervisors, Mississippi Wildlife Rehabilitation, Inc. and the DeSoto County Greenways.

it is a reserve, so no dogs allowed. it was nice short hike other than that.

Has the potential to be a nice little hike, needs more work but I see equipment out there so I believe it's in progress.
Maybe a raised deck walkway toward the water where the lake debris litters the trail? Good scout project!!

This trail is a joke. Who ever started turning this into a nature center is definitely behind. There is trash through out. At one point my son and I followed until we ended up on very unclear path. We had to cross brush that we couldnt tell what we were walking on. I will never come back to this trail.

It was an easy trail. It took us maybe 45 minutes and we weren't walking fast. The lake had flooded some of the areas so we had to walk through the woods until we could get back on the trail, but it was fun.

First trail experience. I had a 7 and 9 year old with me and they did great.

This nature trail was brief but quite beautiful; it was a great spot to sprint back through for a second trip around the trail.

The trailhead is near the Arkabutla dam...highway 301 west is north of the lake; follow it west until you see signs for the Arkabutla dam. Happy trails.

This was a great trail for our family. We had to leave our dog at home though, no dogs allowed here.