Fontainebleau Nature Trail

Fontainebleau Nature Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ocean Springs, MS that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding.

wheelchair friendly

I biked the trail in 45 minutes with little looking around. At back end of the out and back it meets up with a 12ft wide firebreak. This is not part of the trail. I didn't walk it yet to time it. I don't have an iPhone to GPS the trail but I'll attach some pics of the posted trail sign. This is a 3/4 mile long Loop Trail. There is a 1/2 mile out and back Forest Trail about halfway around the loop. The first 300 yards of the loop is wheelchair accessible and takes you as far as the first overlook on Davis Bayou. Mtn bikes can access with 1 area that you'll have to carry the bike.

Much of the natural land that the trail winds through is being restored. The website was great about setting expectations related to the work they are doing. The views were still pretty and the hike overall was pleasant. Since there are not many other trails in the area, I recommend the trek if you need a quick nature fix.

I loved it!! Highly recommend it!

Nice and short. Holds water in several areas with recent rain.

A nice trail to visit with kids

Easy hike, well maintained trail. We didn't see much wildlife but the flora was varied and interesting.

I live nearby and hike this trail often with my family. I've yet to map it or time it with the GPS, but it's a good trail for a short outing with lots of interest for it's relatively small size. I will add these at a later date. The trail is very well maintained and each year since we've discovered it the Fish & Wildlife Service has expanded and improved it. This year they have added several markers which describe the terrain, plant & wildlife. The trail also features two observation decks overlooking Davis bayou and also has a few rest benches scattered throughout the trail. This time of year is an especially good time to visit the trail as well due to the native Honeysuckle Azalea blooming. Also be sure to look for the Southeastern Five-lined Skink that makes his home in the hole of an oak along the trail. You'll have to sneak up on him though as he's pretty shy. If you're really lucky then you will get a chance to view some of the endangered Sandhill Cranes. You won't be able to miss them if they are out there, they are quite large.

This trail is considered a loop trail, but also has what I'd call a tail. The tail is where you will find the azaleas and is a bit more rugged than the loop, but still quite manageable. There are a couple of points where you will have to navigate over brooks that feed down to the bayou, but they are easy to cross. The tail ends when you see the 12' wide fire lane that is cut through the forest. I would not recommend following the fire lane, while it does have an abundance of picture plants, these can also be seen on the back side of the loop and the fire lane often flooded.