Clear Springs Trail

Clear Springs Trail is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Roxie, MS that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, camping, and mountain biking.

20+ Miles of Mountain Biking/Hiking Trails. Located south of Meadville, MS in the Homochitto National Forest. The Trail system is a ride in ride out facility. The Clear Springs park has 22 full hook-up campsites & 22 primitive sites.

Nice easy hike. Wanted to do more of the trail but it wasn't clear where "more of the trail" was. I guess that could be our fault for not researching before going. No biggie, still lots of fun.

We did the Mill Creek Trail. There was a sign that said all trails were closed until further notice but it was in a really strange place so we weren't sure about that.

The trail (at least Mill Creek) is little more than a game trail at this point, but it's not hard to follow. I would wait until the fall when some of the brush starts dying and it's cool enough for pants. It's really overgrown; the briars were relentless.

Bugs weren't an issue with some spray. We also ended up within 20 feet of a deer.

There are some small streams. I filled a bottle from one and it was fine, but drink at your own risk.

Overall a good trail. But a few things...

The Clear Springs Trail is more of a trail system, currently only consisting of 3 trails (the 4th is currently closed). This was confusing for me initially.

The trails are well marked. I think some of the comments on here regarding them not being well marked may be due to the confusion of the multiple trails. The trails are for the most part well maintained and clear. However, I will say that certain sections were overgrown. All bridges intact. Plenty of water sources. I wore plenty of mosquito spray and still got destroyed by bugs, mostly chiggers. Fair amount of wildlife- box turtle, 2 water moccasins, and multiple cool insects, including a millipede. Only saw 2 mountain bikers on the trail in the 2 days I was there. There is a usage fee that you pay using the honor system. I don't know why this trail is listed as "hard"...I'm not super experienced...did the 3 open trails and found it very easy. Not very steep hills at all (not expecting much from MS).

I probably wouldn't go back unless in the winter.

The trails are graveled for a lot of the way. Very steep hills. Hard to climb with the rocks rolling underneath your feet.

We deviated from the trails eventually and walked the creek bottom back to the car.

I personally will warn anyone off going here. I found it to be a miserable not well marked trail and will not be back. Ever.

Is the Clear Springs, Mississippi Recreation Area closed? I just looked at their website and there was a message saying that the recreation area is "closed until further notice due to plumbing issues". Anyone know if this is true? We are planning to tent camp there next week.

Beautiful, not very well marked. Camping was excellent

We tried to hike, but the trails were unclear and it was full of bugs. It was gorgeous from the car. We drove along all of the dirt and unimproved roads, but anytime we got out of the car we were assaulted by bugs. Being from TX I am a bit biased, but it is a million times better not having the bugs.

We had an amazing trip this past weekend. Brought out mtn bikes and rode about 8 miles around the park. We found ourselves on Tally's Trail and Mill Road for a bit and I would suggest hiking these instead of biking- there are many roots. We did see that Tally's was closed from in the park area. It was not closed towards the primitive area and we couldn't find another connector while trying to find the Richardson Trail, so we took it. The trails are marked and there are maps at most of the intersections. We just had a hard time finding the trails connecting once we hit the fire roads. We finally found Richardson and it is the best trail for biking. We did about 7 miles before we ran out of water, so we headed back. Found a cool creek to relax in and then carried on our way. The area is all rolling hills and the trail was cleared. The smell of pine in the backwoods in so prevalent!
We hiked the Clear Springs Trail (1 mile) and took the connector to Mill Branch Trail. It was cleared for the most part and the bridges are all fixed.
Its a huge park! We decided to camp by the lake, but the primitive spots were well off the beaten path.
I suggest going out to the lake at night to star gaze. We could not believe how visible the stars were. We witnessed a quick meteor shower and saw the Milky Way while laying on the decks.

Nice easy trail not too far from NOLA. This definitely wasn't very challenging but there's a lot of miles to cover and plenty of off trail game trails and hills of you want to venture off the trail. The trail is very well marked. I expected it not to be having read other reviews on here but I grabbed a trail map at the trailhead and followed the wooden arrow signs and had no issues. The trail forks about 3 minutes in from the trailhead. We did the loop to the lake (stay to the right). Was very scenic. Tons of wildlife. I would definitely do this trail again. Go with plenty of day light as there is a lot of trail to cover if you have the time. Warning! Google maps will take you to the completely wrong spot. Follow directions on here and grab a paper map. Easy to find it you're not following Google.

Hiked this with a six month old Border Collie and a self professed "girlie girl" on 6/20/15. I found the trail to be ridiculously poorly marked. We ended up inadvertently doing the "closed" Mill Creek Trail and wrapped up our morning covered in poison ivy, chiggers and ticks.

The problem with the trail markings is that they are few and far between. Also, the markers for all of the "closed" trails are still there. The "official" trail markers have been supplemented with vinyl crime scene style tape in various colors. In some places, these tape markers are absurdly thick. In others, no markets of any kind are present for miles and the trail itself is barely discernible.

If I ever did Homochitto again, it would be in winter when the bugs are at bay. We encountered a small group of campers just south of the trail head but, otherwise saw no other humans on this hike. We also saw bear prints or those of a damn big dog who was overdue for a pedicure.

The trails me to have changed in recent years. On the map I downloaded, three trails were listed. Unfortunately they have since combined this trail into one. Most of "Tally Creek" is closed, and the current trail is called "Richardson Creek" trail and is between 9-10 miles. It is a very well marked and nice trail as of 5/1/15. We hiked it, but a few bikers passed us and I saw several tire marks in softer ground, and it certainly seemed bikeable. Good bridges and I only remember one fallen tree that hadn't been cleared yet. Very nice campground with clean bathrooms.

We went to check out the facilities and the trails today. I posted a few photos. Part of the trail closest to the lake is closed due to a bridge that was damaged. We had no idea until we arrived at the bridge. There weren't any signs near the swimming area, which is where we started our hike. But except for that it's a very interesting trail. I can't speak for the trails that run further away from the lake. We didn't try those out today. We will be back soon however.

Nice, well marked trails make up this trail system. There are 4 different trails ranging from 1 mile around the lake to 12 miles. All of the trails are loops. A small day use fee is paid on the honor system just passed the trailhead.

I went here with my 7 years old son for hike,really beautiful place,we didnt get to go far due to burning process the Forestry People were doing(too much smoke,everywhere),but they were super nice and friendly,let us camp anywhere we wanted ,morning was just amazing and beautiful! We still had great fun !!!

A friend and I hiked and camped along the Tally's Creek Trail which is the longest of three loop trails that interconnect. There are plenty of small creeks throughout the trail. Trail runs next to a trailer which was unappealing. Crossed over several roads. Very hilly and nice scenery throughout.

I went camping here with a couple of friends and we were all impressed. Much better biking trails than we expected around here. My friend who doesn't really bike was tired and walked part of the trails. Biking is my main form of transportation but the hills ranged from easy to difficult and I had to walk my bike up some of them too. It was a good challenge for everyone, and a nice forest to ride in. We would have liked to do more primitive camping but we settled for a camp site that didn't have close neighbors because there's really not any flat ground outside of the marked areas.

I hiked the 26 miles in the three loop trails in two days and camped out on a creek bed about halfway through the hike. It's a very scenic hike with lots of hills. Plenty of water sources around to filter and drink. Lots of deer and ticks.

Clear Springs is a true hidden treasure of the SW Mississippi region. The single track is amazing.

One of my favorite mountain bike trails. Fast and scenic, woodsy, not overlooks.