Clark Creek Improved Trail

Clark Creek Improved Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Woodville, Mississippi that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

An easy walk in and out, wide trails, well kept, easy access. Beautiful waterfalls! Gravel walking path 6-10 feet wide. Stairs for added on steep inclines. Stairs available at waterfalls for access to the bottom.

I made a trip to the Improved Trail on Feb 12, 2017, (I've hiked the primitive trial several times) my whole purpose was to photograph the scenery in the creeks but I was disappointed by the foot traffic through the creeks. I know that it's a nice natural area and great for walking but so many people are just so neglectful and disrespectful of nature. I was discouraged by the trash on the ground, people allowing their pets (dogs) to roam around unleashed and allowing their children to pull up vegetation, with the occasional teen groups loudly dropping eff bombs. It sort of reminded me of a mall where parents just drop off their kids expecting the social gathering to be all of the supervision needed.
I will return but I won't do the tourist trail (Improved Trail) again.

The Clark Creek Natural Area improved trail is not nearly as tough as the primitive loop, but definitely not a walk in the park with the steep elevation change near the trail head! But, it wasn't too much for my wife and 7-year-old daughter. We hiked the improved trail to the stairs at the end (bearing right at each fork), then ate lunch by the waterfall. Instead of climbing back up the stairs and going back along the ridgeline, we just followed the creek south and turned left (east) where it meets another creek (chain across creek with Do Not Enter sign is on the right), then followed that creek all the way back to the first fall.

Our hike was approx. 3 miles round trip on my GPS.

There's a good PDF map you can print out here: http://packpaddle.com/where-to-go/hiking-backpacking/clark-creek-natural-area/

Decent trail.

Had a great time

Good scenery

The Clark Creek Improved Trails are ok. It's a nice walk if you want to take your young kids out into a wooded setting. Some areas will require you to really watch out for very young children since there are no rails or fences to keep them from dangerous area such as steep drops. The "improved" trails are graveled, I don't like it when walking up a steep grade but I guess overall it's ok.
I would suggest that with some of the revenue the state receives from the fee they could better label the trail system altogether. For the most part you are following the crowd without knowledge of where you are walking to.
Restrooms are well kept and it's a highly traveled area so the safety factor is up there for folks not use to being outdoors.

Great Hike! This is one of the top trails in Mississippi. The trail is heavily used and can be challenging on some of the more primitive areas due to the erosive nature of the soils and tree root exposure from heavy foot traffic. The natural area is home to some very large hardwood tree species and three state record trees can be found here if you want to wander off the trail a bit.

SO MUCH fun!!! I can't wait to go back and do the primitive trail. For someone who is pretty new to hiking, it was a little rough at some points....but not enough to keep from doing it again!

Really great environment and friendly people! We will be back with our kids!

Easy walk with a few steep uphills

The improved trail is short and easy! I think if you go off the path to every waterfall it is closer to 4 miles but if you are just interested in a few, it really isn't that long. It is a wonderful hike really. We went on Labor Day and there were many people there but it didn't bother us a bit. If you are just going for a short hike to see some waterfalls, that's great! It's beautiful! The vegetation is dense and it's wonderful seeing the many native species of plants. We also saw many toads and skinks which was fun. If you are wanting to really push yourself and almost get lost in the woods, the full primitive loop is tough. From what we can tell, most people don't do it and that is completely understandable. But the improved is nice.

great trail just I wish there were more signs

It's a good enough hike. Humidity was atrocious. Ticks pretty bad, MUST use repellent! May be better in cooler weather. MUST be in decent shape!

Great trail with 6 easily accessible waterfalls. I would bring something to eat and plenty of water if you plan on hiking the whole thing. We made the mistake once of not bringing anything to eat and we were starving when we left.

I came here yesterday for the first time. I was a little how many people were there. Was expecting it to be close to none for some reason. But having people around actually worked out because we would ask walkers if they had seen this or that and led us to more sights.

First off, this place is beautiful. We walked 5 miles, on and off trail and we saw and experiences things I never thought we would. Beautiful waterfalls, lots of gorges, beautiful trees and flowers, huge boulders (you can jump on one too another) and cool streams of water. Me and my friends drove from Ponchatoula do be here. I'm not gonna lie, it can be tough. Bring extra shoes and socks or take your shoes off and walk in sand/water for some of the waterfalls. Wasn't bad thought. We just took out shoes off. Bring a hand towel and a regular towel incase you want to play in the water falls. We took pics under it. I would recommend bringing at least 3 bottles of water per person. No less. I would go back again but I wouldn't bring my young kids. Only if you want to see one water fall and back. Kids might get tired, as we were exhausted. Lots of up hill walking. Be prepared for that! Other than, I had a great experience where I was one with nature and was able to clear my mind in Gods country!