Pike Island Loop

Pike Island Loop is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St Paul, MN that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Wonderful trail!

I recommend hiking around Pike Island once you get below the visitor's center. I park off of Hwy 55 at the meters if I can't find a free spot. Then I walk down the shared paved trail that both bikers and walkers use. Loop around Pike Island and back to the car is about 16-18,000 steps and it takes about 2.5 hrs. Very nice wooded area in the city! If you have a dog keep them leashed because I saw a rattler snake recently and heard a second one. Besides it is the law.

If you do not have a state park permit, you must purchase one to park at this site.

Nothing better than a hike around the pike (island). A little busy but nice.

great..little busier than I prefer, but for being in the metro it is awesome...

it is a great park tons of trails loved it.

I love Fort Snelling! I ride my bike here every day in the summer and fall. It is so peaceful and I seem to find a new trail every time I go. This is my favorite place in the cities.

Dope

What the others have said is accurate. Not much else to add except I'm not sure if they mentioned that you need a State Park day sticker or a season pass for your car. There is a visitor center at the end of the road and you can rent the green bikes near there.

Lots of different possibilities here. Pike Island (3 mi around). Picnic Island, Walking to Minnehaha Falls (3 mi). Can only hike/walk/run on Pike Island. Biking on the otehr. In the summer there's a cpl beaches as well -- on a lake as well as the river bank along the Mississippi on Pike. At the East end of Pike the Minnesota River flows into the Mississippi. It's all forested with tall trees! Pike is earth. The others are paved.

Good year-round trail. Make sure to hit Pike Island.

It is nice we have a beautiful trail within the cities, but this one is a boring trail. By boring I mean the sidtance is too short, the plants and everything else was fairly mundane. Nothing to rave about. However, if u need fresh air and cant drive the distance and a beginner, this is the spot! Feel free to bring your small dog on a leash.

Flat trail that loops 3 miles around the island. Slightly sandy in some areas. Muddy during spring and early summer. Great views of wildlife and plenty of views of the rivers.