Tahquamenon West/North Country Trail

Tahquamenon West/North Country Trail is a 7.3 mile point-to-point trail located near Newberry, MI and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

7.3 miles Point to Point

I've done this trail a few times. It's a good hike, but not much to see until the falls.

Completed this trail in March. The weather was COLD but clear and made for some awesome winter hiking. The big and little falls are very majestic northern Michigan sites. Even for deep winter conditions, the trails were very well maintained and east to traverse.

Great hike! We went the end of September and it was unusually warm. Saved an unprepared hiker by giving him one of my bottles of water. Lots of steep climbs with exposed tree roots We're heading back up for Labor Day.

Hearty hike! We loved doing an out & back on the NCT after visiting the falls. The trail had been part of a trail running event earlier in the day & my hat is off to those folks! It was hard just to walk this trail!

Elevation feels more significant than the topo confirmed. Loved the switch back section. Light mosquitoes. Storm blew in dramatic clouds but by mid hike the sun was back out.

If you want to see the falls, my rec would be go hike first, then hit the falls as you are leaving. Late afternoon seemed a low traffic time.

Loads of tripping tree roots and muddy seeps. The river and falls are not spectacular but it's nice to wade in the river. Mosquitos were not bad for July. Worth the visit.