Potawatomi Trail

Potawatomi Trail is a 17.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Unadilla Township, MI that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

If you enjoy a peaceful trail run with very little traffic, this is the place to be! You will find hikers in the summer months and a few mountain bikers, but this challenging loop offers great outdoor fun all year round.

Great trails! A lot of elevation changes, footing can be a little treacherous in a few places with rocks and roots. Only downside is not the trail itself, but bike riders coming in the opposite direction not always paying attention to trail traffic.

Amazing hiking trail would be 5 stars but the mountain bikes come out of nowhere at speed and have no regard for people on the trail.

I day hiked the 17.7 mile loop on Sunday, 14th of August, going counter-clock , as the bikers go clockwise. There were very few hikers, but lots of bikers.
The good:
- It’s a loop! You can park at different locations, and get back (I started at Hankerd Rd)
- Nice shade - mostly through woods and some lake banks. Not muddy, as it has sandy soil.
- Moderate workout (not recommended the whole hike in a day for beginners)
- Has a nice backcountry camping site near Blind lake (you can take a swim there during summer); sites can be reserved and paid online. https://www.midnrreservations.com/PinckneyRecreationArea%2fBlindLake%3fList

The not so good:
- Lots of poison ivy an trail sides (wear long pants, or long socks);
- Too many bikers share the trail make and it easy to get into a collision… probably during the week is somewhat different.

Killer trail. Lots of roots and drop offs. Definitely a challenge but very very fun.

Great hike. Rustic trail makes it more like a walk through the woods thanks cultivated park. Shared trail with a few mountain bikers. Suggest biker add bells to warn hikers they're coming.

Fairly challenging and a lot of bike traffic. Had fun overall though and the walk-in rustic camp was nice.

The trail itself is very well maintained, and there were very few areas blocked by overgrowth or fallen trees. There are a lot of lakes that make for very nice scenery, and if you pack accordingly, you could go off trail to swim. Bikers are traveling in the opposite direction of hikers, and flyby very fast sometimes. Blazes are sporadic, and mile markers not present, but it's fine. All in all, a very nice trail for hiking.

Very poorly marked trail. You would think that with as many people who have complained about this, corrections would be made, I won't be back.

We backpacked from the trailhead into Blind Lake campground and had a blast. It is challenging trail to say the least. Lots of hills, several are quite large and difficult. It's about a 7 mile hike into Blind Lake (if you take the shortcut like we did) and about 4.5 mile hike back out. Our campsite was rusticly gorgeous. I will do this again after I lighten the load in my pack.

Great loop. Nice to have a long loop in central MI that never gets boring. Definitely try a few 6-9 mile hikes before committing to the full 17. You can take a few shortcuts to turn this into a 10 mile if you look at a map. The scenery is great and lightly trafficked generally. Not much elevation change to get the heart rate up but still a great workout due to distance alone.

This was a great trail to take the kids hiking on. Just hard enough for a good cardio workout. We loved it.

I enjoyed hiking this trail a few weeks ago with a meetup group. It was a cold, wet day in May, but we shared the trail with friendly hikers and runners. some dogs were there. The trail was hilly, but fairly narrower than I expected. we hiked a short loop of 5 miles. I recommend this trail and will return.

This was the first backpacking trip my husband and I have ever been on. It was great and close to home. The first day we set out to blind lake camp ground and made great time. From marker 1 to 12 it was about 7 miles. Lots of lakes and marshes. I would recommend camp site 2 since it was right on the water and had beautiful views. The only down side to this camp ground was the well was not close to the restroom. Even though the site said no fires I called the DNR and they said that is fine. The second day we knew rain was coming so we took the shortest route to the crooked lake camp ground which was about 5 miles. This camp ground was nice, but cars and trailers where allowed. Over all not very scenic but a great beginner trail. I would defiantly go back again.

This trail is absolutely gorgeous. This makes for an amazing day!

We hiked out of Silver Lake yesterday, it was our first trail hike ever. We had a little trouble finding the trail head but very quickly we found that the trail was perfectly marked and signed. There was even a few "wrong way" signs! There where a few runners out and some mountain bikers. The trail was clear, quiet, clean and well maintained. Very scenic area, we loved it!

The variety is outstanding! It has all the different types of terrain that make Southern MI beautiful and interesting. The rapid elevation changes make it a real challenge. Blind Lake campground was beautiful and serene (until the summer partiers in one of the lake houses started shooting off fireworks). Just don't camp too close to the outhouse!