Platte River

DIFFICULTY 7 reviews

Platte River is a 16 mile trail located near Honor, MI. The trail is primarily used for canoeing and sea kayaking and is accessible from May until October.

sea kayaking

canoeing

My family has been canoeing down this river for over 60 years, generation after generation we go every summer in July. My earliest memories of this trip are from over 30 years ago when I was a child and had to sit in the middle of the canoe. Now I take my children down the Platte every summer. The week of the 4th is absolutely the most crowded it is above any other week of the year so take that into consideration. I personally love this river crowded or not. We put in at the Riverside Canoe Livery on M-22 and take it all the way to Lake Michigan ending at one of the most beautiful beaches in the world (IMO). Not quite half way through the trip we stop on the sand bar in Loon Lake, usually along with a few dozen other people, for a quick swim, and hang out to enjoy the scenery. Platte River point, at the end, offers views of Sleeping Bear Dunes, and the beach at end of Old Indian Trail, a little to the South. Once we complete the trip, usually we spend a few hours enjoying the beach, where the warmer water of the river meets the cooler water of the lake making for a less jolting experience in Lake Michigan. The best part being that your car will be parked at the end of the trip so you can pack plenty of supplies for an extended beach stay. You will have to pay $10 for a park pass to park there, but this will give you access to all of the park features for a week.

River is great, but I don't recommend a canoe on a busy July Saturday. Very crowded. Kayak would be fine (but we had a large group with more kids than adults). Too many tubers. Maneuvering around them in a canoe was like a video game. Save the canoeing for an off-peak time or kayak the river for better ease of getting around.

My family has gone camping here annually for three years and plan to keep up the tradition. Nothing but good things to say about this area. The canoe trip is awesome.

canoeing

LOVELY canoe trip for families! We have canoed and tubed. Kids loved both!! Very shallow, scenic, and keeps moving. Great place for ice cream and camp essentials at the canoe launch. We will definitely go back!

canoeing

too shallow to canoe but a kayak will get you right through!

Too shallow to canoe.

Kayaking fun. Put in off US31 campsite near the hatchery and take out in Honor for a fast beautiful and quiet kayak trip. Not for beginners due to quick turns and downed trees.