Pickerel Lake Trail

Pickerel Lake Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cannon Twp, MI that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until November.

One of my favorite places in Kent County. There are several spur trails to get extra miles in.

I thought this was a really nice easy trail and if you go around sunset you'll be happy

Really great walk around the lake, with optional offshoot trails.

Very nice trail! Can be a little buggy depending on when you go so make sure to wear bug spray. The red trail is nice but not too hard and everything is well maintained.

Trail was relatively easy except for one steep part on the "hard" trail (red) and it was also very muggy and hot. Trail is gorgeous and the normal lake trail is relatively flat. We hiked the red trail with the blue trail which was about 4.1 miles. Tons of colorful mushrooms!

Great trail for a family hike. Our 5 year old handled it just fine and had a blast along the way. Took us about an hour and a half.

This is a nice set of trails that allow a variety of difficulties. Those looking for a more physical harm me can take the woodland trail path instead of staying on the fairly flat lakeside path.

Note: Dogs are not allowed on this trail as it's a nature preserve, and you could be subject to fines if caught with your dog on the trails.

Nice trail running location or going fro a scenic walk. Given MI has not true hiking areas this is a nice opportunity to spend an hour or two. Not crowded

beautiful

Perfect.

Best hike in the area by far! Can get a little crowded on a nice weekend, but there is enough trail to separate your self from the crowd.

Awesome place to hike. We went on a Friday and only saw one other couple the entire time. A lot of rules, like no dogs or canoeing, but that's probably why it's still pristine. My favorite hike this year. It's clockwise only with a turnstile so you can't go the wrong way. Also, no bikes allowed.

I grew up in the mountains down south and Pickerel Lake (Fred Meijer Nature Preserve) reminded me of home. The hills were refreshingly beautiful but easy to hike. We visited Pickerel Lake on a sunny, Sunday in late April. There were quite a few people there but we never felt crowded on the trail. We did the Lake Trail (blue) that was 1.9 miles. We also did the white trail (.77 miles), so we probably hiked a total of about 2.8 miles. This ended up being too long for our 3 and 6 year old. I think from now on we need to try for 1 or 1.5 mile hikes with them. Our 11 year old daughter thought it was great though. Next time I’d like to go with just my husband and do the Woodland Trail (red) which is supposed to be more challenging than the others. This is a very peaceful (no boat) lake with several people fishing there. You’ll see many trees downed by beavers and possibly a couple beaver houses which we found fascinating. There seemed to be parts of the white trail that weren’t on the map, but still had signposts. I think they just looped around though so you probably wouldn’t get lost on them.