Pere Marquette River

DIFFICULTY 4 reviews

Pere Marquette River is a 42 mile trail located near Custer, MI. The trail is primarily used for fly fishing and canoeing and is accessible from May until October.

fly fishing

fly fishing

My home river. My family river. Being born in Scottville and having a family cabin on the upper river in Baldwin, MI, I have fished this river top to bottom Baldwin to Scottville and every single spot in-between since I was a very young man. I have worked for the original owners of the Pere Marquette Lodge (Johnson's) as well as directing fishing shows for them.

I have helped guide fishing trips and fished this gem of a stream with dedication year 'round for decades. I have waled its banks and floated every portion. I can honestly wade the Flies Only stretch from M37 to Gleason's Landing with my eyes closed. I have caught trope trout, steelhead, and salmon repeatedly and shoulder to shoulder with some of its legendary guides.

I love this river more than most things on Earth. It is my home. My ashes will one day be a part of your Hex silt.

Be kind to this river. She's delicate.

Just got back from Baldwin, MI, and a great canoe/camping trip on the Pere Marquette river. I have been on many canoe and kayak trips around Michigan, and all have been great experiences. This time, though, was the first time I have done a multi-day canoe/camping trip! We had a blast! This river is cold and clear, and moves relatively slowly, but at times is a bit quicker. The river runs mostly throught the Maistee national forest, so there are very few houses and cabins. If you have done any canoeing or kayaking at all, then this river should be no problem. Alot of fishermen to share the river with, but overall the all are nice enough, and stay out of your way if you work with them. We put in at Bowman's Bridge, and paddled about 4 hours down stream to the USFS campground at Elk. Very rustic campground, accessible by river only, (though one group there parked out by the road and walked in to camp) No water, and just a small wooden vault toilet. (BRING SUPPLIES) There is only 4 sites, and it's first come, first served. Then this morning it was about a 3 hour paddle to Walhalla Bridge, where the great folks at Baldwin Canoe Rental had spotted our car. If you fish and go this time of year, make sure you bring your gear, we had two giant salmon almost jump in the boat with us! A great river, a great trip, this is a highly recommended river. I can't say enough about the service at Baldwin Canoe Rental.

whitewater kayaking

Very rough riding in some spots, but overall, quite a thrill. Highly recommend for beginners and veterans alike, the river is long enough to support both, just make sure you have your entrance and exit spots selected beforehand. Awesome river! A+