Island Lake Recreation Area: Blue Trail to Yellow Trail Loop

Island Lake Recreation Area: Blue Trail to Yellow Trail Loop is a 12.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Brighton, MI that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

fly fishing

beach

Island state park has two bike trails: blue (longer) and yellow (shorter). This is the yellow. Easy/ moderate difficulty. Quick & fun. Trail allows for a quick speed. Has a few log piles. Has some sandy parts. If its been raining a lot a small section will be flooded but it's not bad.

For those interested in mountain biking, Island Lake offers 2 trails: Blue Trail at 9.5 miles and Yellow Trail at 5.6 miles. Both trails difficulties are about the same, they are moderate and not too difficult. My wife has just started mountain biking and the two of us did the Blue one in 1 hour and 25 minutes. I then did the Yellow one in 45 minutes. There are only a few difficult parts. The trail is simply gorgeous, going though wooded areas with many waterways. You can see one of the lakes from one part. There are pit toilets at the entrance to the trails. The only negative about both trails are that not all turns have signs. They are actually somewhat confusing in a couple of areas where you have to travel on the park road and then get back on the trail. I highly recommend having the Alltrails app on your iPhone. I used it a couple of times to get back on the trail.

We took the blue path for a 10 mile hike, Great stops and good scenery BUT bikes go the same direction as hikers and the path is best suited for biking.

I love this beginner level trail, you can fast and its where I bring all my first timers. The 13 mile road route is fantastic and is easy to connect to Kensington.

Nice scenery. plenty of bike traffic on the weekends. Not the hills I was expecting, nothing to really get your heart rate up. Definitely recommended for great views and a casual easy hike, if you are OK with bike traffic.

We hiked the yellow trail which was a fun easy trail. As a hiker the trail is far too narrow in most spots to let bikes pass. If it were just a hiking trail or just a biking trail it would be much better.

Lots of bike traffic, but everyone is courteous.

Easy paved trail. Great for families!

Great trails for the beginner mountain biker or the skilled rider. The blue loop is about a 9 mile loop and is fast and great for novice riders, but plenty of trail features to keep the skilled riders entertained. The yellow loop is shorter at 6 miles, but is a tad more technical. Still a good ride for beginners at slower speeds. There is also a 5 mile paved trail that connects to Kensington Metropark.
Hikers and runners should go the opposite direction of the trail signs to make it safer for everyone. A skilled rider that is familiar with the trails should be able to complete both loops in about an hour.
This link says it is only 13 miles, but both loops are actually 15-16 miles from the trailhead. It also says it is "easy" and much of it is, but many climbs, decent's and sandy sections still make my wife nervous.

Beautiful scenic trail. Narrow in places. Well marked for the most part.

Rode this morning after the rail. Big puddles but very ridable. Plan on getting dirty. Trail drains well - but it'll be muddy tomorrow.

Sweet dry trails! Finally!!!

Very scenic trail that is quite narrow. The trail is big enough for one biker or one runner to fit on. I enjoyed walking / running on this trail, but have to warn others to be mindful of hikers! The bikers on this trail can travel at a rather high rate of speed and not provide runner / walker folks with much warning. I thought I was going to get run over a time or two. Aside from being very alert, I would recommend wearing a hat, as the horse flies are everywhere!

good trail, good hills some flat areas but a lot of sand

An absolute blast! Just started mountain biking this year and this has been my favorite so far. Not very challenging but incredibly fun. Went on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and only saw a couple people. I will be back for sure!

Fun trail (yellow), little sandy in a few spots, great place to pick up some speed.

This trail is one that is in heavy rotation on my ride schedule. I love running and riding my mountain bike out here. I recently purchased a Cannondale Caadx Disc Ultegra Cyclocross bike and have rode it out here several times. The path is easy enough for a beginner to enjoy and the advanced rider can work on speed. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. Rivers, pine forests, wildlife and much more. The park staff dose a great job of keeping the park clean and after a hard ride you can go and have a soak in the pond!

Rode the blue trail Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend. Not a bad ride. Pretty simple for anyone but the newest rider. I would like to have seen better trail markings at forks and tees. There were new people standing in these areas scratching their head until riders with more familiarity came by, to be blindly followed.
I was surprised at the number of what seemed to be VERY advanced riders on such a simple trail. We were passed by several riders flat out flying through them, which made it a little nerve wracking at times.
I recommend going into the town of Brighton for a post trail meal at Firehouse Subs :)

Rode both the yellow and blue trails in a day. It's fun but easy. Def great for beginning riders. Not many hard climbs or fast drops, mostly flat.

Good for running. The blue has some short ups and downs and the yellow has less but longer hills. Fairly busy with bikers on the weekends especially.

I rode the yellow trail and then rode the green trail which is paved to get a few extra miles in. The yellow trail is a little over 6 miles of mostly forest single track. There are hardly any obstacles (A couple of simple log climbs) so the trail is not very technical. I would rate the trail as easy. This would be an excellent system of trails for someone training for cross county races. As others have mentioned, beware of a few sandy areas where you might loose front tire grip.