Grand Island Loop

Grand Island Loop is a 10.9 mile loop trail located near Munising, MI that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible from May until October.

10.9 miles Loop

beach

cave

The island has a number of trails and designated camping zones but you can camp just about anywhere.

beautiful area - Already planning to go back for more time!

Few campsites. I do recommend reserving your spot online before going. I had to find my own spot. The hike itself is fairly easy. Not a lot of uphills (which is great). Good hike over all. I rate the hike somewhere in between easy/medium difficulty.

Actually, my girlfriend and I hiked this trail and we ended up putting in 37.8 miles this is the most beautiful hike I've done so far it was absolutely perfect!

Northern point campsites are absolutely stunning. Great rangers with great information as well.

Beautiful hike if your able to hike for a long distance. The whole loop is just over 20 miles long not 10. However we did the historical loop which was a little over 12 miles and had very beautiful views of the beaches and cliffs. Make sure to bring lots of water the drinking spots are all located in a close area and as you get further into the island there isn't any drinking water

Gorgeous! Michigan is anything but boring.

Beautiful Island...especially North Beach if you can make the jaunt (we biked/camped).

As someone else has mentioned the trail is around 22 miles long not 10. The trail is well marked and the loop takes you through a very nice hardwood forest. The northern part of the trail brings you into sand uphill terrain which makes it fairly hard to hike but the view of the northern beach is well worth it.

This article says 10.9 miles, but the full loop (around the rim of the island) is more like 21 miles. Some slight incline and decline, pretty well maintained trails and stunning views of Lake Superior along with the island's sandstone cliffs. On clear days, can see Pictured Rocks from northeastern cliffs. Depending on the time of year, could be very buggy. Be sure to fill your water vessels while on the south end of the island.

very cool island. if you don't have a watercraft there is a ferry you can take to get out there for $15 round trip. easy mountain biking trails criss cross the whole island. I saw 6 black bears while I was there too.

Great Trail for beginners and those who want to see some excellent rock formations. We headed here after finding out that Pictured Rocks was all booked up. What a pleasant surprise...