Deep Lake Trail

Deep Lake Trail is a 10.8 mile loop trail located near Middleville, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Wayland, MI: Take US 131 south turning east at the Bradley exit. Take CR A-42 (Chief Noonday Road) east to Gun Lake Road following the signs to Yankee Springs Headquarters. Obtain detailed park map at this point.

I've hiked this loop 4-5 times now and I personally think it's the best trail at Yankee Springs. The actual loop can be reached from either the Devils Soup Bowl (accessible by a muddy road) or the mountain bike staging area that is directly off the main road and shares the deep lake rustic campground. I have chosen to link the hall lake trail with the deep lake trail to offer a longer more challenging day hike the last few times, no different today in mid-Jan. I began the trail at the Devils soup bowl and went clockwise (north to east) after a short leg for the woods you meet up with a muddy road that takes you on a straight route through the woods and a cleared game area. You pass a trailer park/campground? (Camping trailers and people there in the dead of winter suggests it a trailer park). You'll need to pay attention not to miss the trail on the south side of the road. After hugging the deep lake shoreline you have access to a fishing pier and the rustic campsites that I've known to be crowded with trailers and pop-ups. The trail hugs the lakeshore snakes around the campsites until you reach the first junction to loop with the deep lake trail or continue toward the mountain bike staging area. I usually hike on the mountain bike trail (sorry bikers! I promise to move out of the way) as it offers a longer hike and I personally like the area although it skirts the busy road on your left for a lengthy duration. You stroll through mostly hardwood forests and a few patches of pine before you link back with the soup bowl junction. I loop around the north side of the bowl to see a couple new sites before linking back with the graves hill/soup bowl parking lot.

The Hall Lake trail is a short walk (5 minutes) which offers another 2 mile loop. Personally Hall Lake is my favorite lake in the area. With Hall Lake Trail and Deep Lake combined you can make for a nice 6-7 mile loop. Overall good hike for southwest Michigan. The soup bowl is a must see during the hike.

This is just OK. It's not off-the-beaten-path, meaning too close to some roads and constant noise of traffic. It is not well marked and those caring for it use a bit too much sand to fill in wet areas (for the mountain bikers, I presume). I did find a path, marked on the trail but not on this map, that does go along the east edge of Deep Lake - this part is at least scenic.

Good trail. Easy to follow. I'm hard if hearing , I remove my hearing aids while hiking ( sweat issue with them). My concern was sharing the trail with bikes. Its been my experience on the roads that many cyclists act as if they own the roa . That said, my hike on this trail , Memorial Day weekend , was grea . The riders shared the trail as did I. It was easy for me to step aside and give them ample room to pas . I found great trail respect from the riders on a VERY busy trail day.

Though not my favorite trail at Yankee Springs , I will walk it agai . Hit my favorite spo .

I give two stars at best...poorly marked, hiked out an hour and a half before we saw a map on the trail that said we missed the loop way back, devils' soup bowl a gully with trees in it, no big deal. Nice mountain bike trail but foot trail poor quality

Great place to get away from the city/concrete jungle. Although the trail can be busy with other users at times, most occasions I am all alone!

Great trail. Had a lot of intersecting trails that you can use to expand the hike if you get part way through and just want to go that extra mile.

This was a fun little trail! Saw some excellent scenery. Also seems like you have a good chance of seeing some deer, as we saw tons of tracks (never actually saw the deer though). Did see some turkeys though! The Devil's Soup Bowl overlook is a pretty cool spot, and I'd recommend taking the 15 minute detour to go see it. The only reason I didn't give this trail a 5 star rating is because it runs to close to the main road for a bit, and I don't like hearing cars when I'm trying to get away.... Other than that it's wonderful though! I recommend staying at the Deep Lake Rustic campground when your there, the trail actually runs right next to the sites so you don't even have to drive to the trailhead.