Asylum Lake Trail

Asylum Lake Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kalamazoo, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Former site of the Kalamazoo mental hospital. Now WMU has turned this area into a wild life preserve. This boasts a very large lake, trails, and loads of wildlife.

beautiful stream with bridge, great for a picnic.

My boyfriend and I go here all the time with our fur children. I don't know who enjoys it more: us or the dogs.

loved it. went off the main path along the lake. felt so refreshing to reconnect with nature.

I love this place. I take my dog here all the time and she loves it too. The scenery is beautiful and I can't wait for everything to start turning green!!

This is a pleasant hike, with both wooded paths and prairie paths Some of the paths are gravel or remnants of old streets. There is a downloadable app which helps you find your way on the trails, and indicates points of interest: Asylum Lake Preserve app.

Nice , close to home. Trails not marked well once you leave the trailhead but you'll have no problem following them. I followed some wildlife paths ( human or otherwise) all the way around the lake with a short walk along Drake Rd.

Nice place, loaded with deer and raccoon. Bring bug spray.....all in all a nice fun quick jaun .

Trails aren't really marked once you enter. That being said, it's small enough that you won't get lost and there are plenty of hills to give you a good workout. It's in the city, but quiet enough and far enough out of the way to provide a peaceful and relaxing jog or walk.