Norwottuck Rail Trail

Norwottuck Rail Trail is a 9.9 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Northampton, MA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, road biking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.0 miles 290 feet Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

rails trails

FROM THE WEST: 1. Head east on I-90 E 2. Take exit 4 for I-91 toward Holyoke/Springfield - 0.6 mi 3. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-91 and merge onto I-91 N - 13.8 mi 4. Take exit 19 toward Northampton - 0.2 mi 5. Go straight through traffic light - Park will be on the right 358 ft FROM THE EAST: 1. Head west on I-90 W 2. Take exit 4 for I-91toward Springfield/Holyoke - 0.2 mi 3. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-91 and merge onto I-91 N - 13.8 mi 4. Take exit 19 toward Northampton - 0.2 mi 5. Go straight through traffic light - Park will be on the right - 358 ft FROM THE NORTH: 1. Take I-91 S 2. Take exit 20 to merge onto N King St- 0.4 mi 3. Turn left at Damon Rd - Park will be on the left - 0.9 mi FROM THE SOUTH: 1. Take I-91 N 2. Take exit 19 for MA-9 toward Northampton - 0.2 mi 3. Go straight through traffic light - Park will be on the right 358 ft

A beautiful, well-maintained bike path and trail that takes you point-to-point from Amherst to Northampton through woods and farmland.

This trail was great. I rode from Northampton (Damon Road trail head) to Amherst's town center--about 14 miles round-trip. (The trail connects to an on road bike lane that gets you the final 1/3 mile to town, where there were great places to grab dinner.) lots of friendly people on the trail. I really enjoyed the mile markers and signage with distances. The real stunner is the old rail bridge over the Connecticut River! :) i look forward to coming back.

We are visiting Amherst, so I was looking for unpaved trail to run and found plenty of well marked trials. Most were flat and wide enabling the runner to get to pace, although some were deer paths most were 6-8feet wide. I ran blue, red / white trail onto red. I also ran a linear trail that reminded me of an old carriage road, it was quite wide and flat with gentle slope that led to pond, it was not marketed separately and tan about 1 mile . All in all I had good experience.

Great Trail! Has two places to stop and get food. One food stop has an old video arcade. The trail also has paths to the Hadley Mall, Umass, Amherst College; and goes through Northampton, Hadley, Amherst, and Belchertown.

It is very nice reminds me of walking the wonder ways of Switzerland

Awesome trail. Excellent scenery and nice to not have to worry about automobiles.

Belchertown start is a little rough on road bikes, but the new pavement that starts in Amherst is beautiful.

Have yet to go further than Northampton but will very soon.

The Norwottuck Rail Trail is just full of awesome! You can start in Belchertown and ride uninterrupted all the way to Easthampton. The ride is fairly easy, the only hill is at West Street in Amherst (Rt. 116). The trail goes through wetlands, swamps, sweeping fields, wonderful farm lands. There are excellent vistas at many points.

The eventual plan is to incorporate the Norwottuck Rail Trail into the Massachusetts Central Rail Trail, which eventually will stretch all the way to Boston.

Trail is under reconstruction until end of 2014. Various section closed including bridge over CT river.

Really a straight forward walk very nice sights of the river going across the bridges do have to be careful with all the ppl bikeong