Northfield Mountain Trail

Northfield Mountain Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Northfield Farms, MA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great endurance hike, lots of trail options for extending your mileage, can be a bit confusing if you have never been and constantly change trails but you get back eventually. there can be a lot of truck traffic if you are around the power lines but once you get up a little further you are away from it all. there are some beautiful trails for night hikes here, and on a clear night with a full moon it is absolutely amazing without a light

Decent walk in the woods with some moderate incline in places. Unfortunately, there is not much of a view at the summit except for a fenced off reservoir. Also you have to walk a road to get there, and anyplace someone could just drive up to in a vehicle seems less like an achievement for a hiker. The trails were marked well along the paths, but at intersections they were terrible. Two highly educated professionals we are, and we ended up on the wrong trail at 6/7 meeting points. Also, the bugs were spectacular. Using a high level of DEET, we still had swarms of mosquitos around our faces and heads. I sprayed my face directly and still got bit up all over my cheeks. And my dog got a tick, but I guess that is to be expected. It was a good place for a nearby day hike, but nothing to get too worked up over. Coming from out of state, I expected a little bit more.

A + for not passing any other people on the trail throughout my five hour hike.

Pros: Easy to find, free parking, bathrooms at the entrance. Wide trails good for biking and/or horseback riding. Exercise path is potentially entertaining.

Cons: Less a hike and more a path walk, overhead power lines seem a bit out of place, construction was not well marked and potentially unsafe as there was no clearly marked way around the site. Summit/ reservoir was anticlimactic and there was no swimming.

Recommend: for biking, riding, winter sports. Do not recommend for hiking.

Free parking. Decent facilities. It was more of a Trailwalk then a true hike. You cannot swim in the reservoir after you walk a few hours to it. It was a complete bummer. Kind of like putting candy in front of a kid and not giving it to him After building up a sweat.

There is better places you can go to hike. I wouldn't go back there.

There are over 25 miles of trails in this Mountain. There are three scenic vista's and plenty of places to have a picnic. We took the red trails to the top which seem to be the only hiking trails. The other trails are dirt and paved roads. The red trail from the parking lot to the top and back is around 4.5 to 5 miles depending on which red trail you choose. It wasn't overly difficult but we had fun. I would recommend it.