Mount Greylock via Money Brook Trail

Mount Greylock via Money Brook Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Williamstown, MA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful hike starts along Money Brook and follows it to a waterfall. This hike is one of the best hikes in the Berkshire region because it takes in the tallest mountain in Massachusetts, and it follow Money Brook at the start, which makes for a very nice gradual start to this difficult hike. Money Brook trail starts gradual and works its way up the deep valley between Greylock and Mt Prospect. The trail passes a beautiful waterfall that is worth diverting from the trail for. At the head of the valley the trail joins the Appalachian Trail and follow the AT South over Mt Williams, Mt Fitch and on to Greylock summit with pretty good view on Fitch and Williams. The views from Greylock summit are spectacular. Returning from the summit Continue South on the AT to the Hopper Trail, follow Hopper trail thru the campground on Sperry Road out to stony ledge with spectacular views of greylock and the Hopper. A trail continues past a lean to, take the Haley Farm Trail on the right which ends up right where you started.

The trail marked on here is COMPLETELY different than in real life. NEVER TRUST THIS APP!

Absolutely TERRIBLE. I would have been better off without this stupid app. Never been so lost in the woods before. NEVER TRUST THIS APP!

Love this hike. Challenging but fun and the views at the summit are worth every drop of sweat

Incredible hike! The views are spectacular! If you are going to summit, taking the Money Brook trail up was the way to go. On the way back down, the hopper trail is less steep and seems like the better route down. For first timers to the Berkshires, my wife and I couldn't get over the views from the summit of Mount Greylock. Sitting at the top (facing east) over looking the town of Adams was a phenomenal lunch stop. Guess what??? They have Popsicles at the top!!!!! What better way to enjoy a summer day atop a mountain. Enjoy and hike safe!

Beautiful

I was in the area for work, so I took advantage of the Saturday off and made it an all-day hike. I ended up doing some extra side trails, my Fitbit showed 21 miles and 5500 feet of elevation gain. There were some vehicles already in the parking lot when I arrived, but I didn't actually see anyone for the first six miles or so. Quite a few people at the top of Mt. Greylock, I even saw about five paragliders taking flight from the summit. There were some nice overlooks throughout and I only had trouble finding the trail a few times. Overall well worth the drive and effort.

We parked at hopper road and took the money brook trail first. It was a beautiful hike and very well marked. It is a long and at times arduous hike. We made it to the top of Greylock and followed the Hopper Trail down. When you get to the campsite area it tells you the Hopper trail turns left but there are no other signs until you follow the dirt road about 1.5 miles to the end. When you see the new trails it will tell you Hopper Road is 2 miles left. Then you come to a fork in path and it says Stony Ledge or Haley Farm. It does not say Hopper Road. We started down Stony Ledge when we came across 2 wonderful hikers who told us we needed to take Haley Farm. We made it back a lot longer than we thought. We found Hopper trail to not be as well marked and the signs and blazes to be further apart.it would have been nice if Sperry Road had blazes to let you know you were still following the trail and for the fork to be better labeled.

Great hike. We backpacked and camped. The summit is beautiful with views in every direction. Well worth it.

A little practical info first, I'm 53 years old and hike the most aggressive stuff I can find in CT , I'm also a four season hiker and good condition with a small ego. I average about 45-60 miles a month and include longer treks of over 10 miles......so the back drop it set.
So, I'm going to be honest here, for me this was a strenuous hike, no joke. We started out at the Hopper Road entrance to the Money Brook trail, awesomely beautiful , the trail itself was easy going, but pay attention as the blazes are fades and further apart then you might be used to, also when you get to the falls cross and go up the switchback, kinda tricky to see.........can't believe no one wrote in about that.
Then the fun begins, you will be going up steadily and earn your stripes ( drink lots of water and eat trail mix , fruit whatever ,........but stayed fueled and hydrated or you'll just run out of gas, keep your pace real for you and don't over do it or your day will turn into a death march .
Next you'll switch to the AT , more of a ridge line portion , so you get a break before you get to the the summit.........the last 200 yards, your grinding up and "vala" your there, stunning views.

The terrain is varied , for us it was 83 degrees and humid, the trail was often wet and muddy and portions were slick with moss covered rocks . Food and water are available at the summit It took us 5.5 hours to reach the summit, we got off trail twice, so 5 hours mike be better indicator. I made the mistake of underestimating the hike as it's under the 4,000 foot mark , but make no mistake, minus rock scrambling ( there was none) it was a great challenge and would recommend it for anyone working there way up to wanting to do higher peaks in the future. Mt Grey lock for me, was a good test of endurance and mental toughness for something I've never done before ........ I learned a lot.
The hike down was moderate, but the legs were sore and the terrain was varied with slick spots, mud and water .......be careful.
Total distance was 12 .5 miles and 7.5 hours . Will hike it again in three weeks .
I wanted my review to be accurate for those that are at the same place in their hiking life, so you don't underestimate this route and have a fun day, it's a great hike for those of you that are continuing to evolve to bigger challenges and have never tackled a 3, 500 ft mt.

I agree, this is a great hike. The day we did it - two weeks ago now - it registered on my app as an 11.9 mile hike. Easy enough to do in this season with a mid morning start. For us - with lunch in Bascom lodge included - it took 6.5 hours. We left at noon and were back at our cars at 6:30. If you go you should take time to go to the lodge and get a tour of the overnight rooms. There is a great view from the room with the bunk beds.

This is a difficult but worthwhile hike. The terrain and difficulty varies but it provides an opportunity to see much of what Greylock has to offer. There are options to go up to the Mt. Prospect Summit (+1.0m), to the Money Brook Falls (+0.25m) and off Sperry Rd, you can check out the March Cataract Falls (+2m). This was our first time doing this loop and was going to be the longest hike we've done to that point, so we stuck to the loop with no detours. Total hike time was 6hrs 35m and we took frequent breaks to enjoy the views, had lunch at the summit with a little yoga before heading back out. With this hike, be sure to allow yourself a long day because there's a lot to stop and see and you don't want to miss anything. The whole day (inc. all breaks) we were out about 9 1/2 hours. Considering redoing this during peak foliage season.

This is a great hike but prepare for a long day. The Money Brook Trail does not directly access the Mt. Greylock Summit. The Money Brook Trail is a beautiful trail which starts out pretty easy then gradually builds in difficulty, intensifying as it descends toward Money Brook by the Falls and then ascends steeply on the other side. Taking this trail to the summit, you will need to then get onto the AT South to the Mt. Williams summit, cross over Mt. Fitch and up to the Summit. On the way down, take the Hopper to Sperry Road then to Stony Ledge then to Stony Ledge Trail Farm trail. It's difficult to give one specific level of difficulty because it covers diverse terrain. This shouldn't be attempted by the novice hiker however. Be sure you can hike at least at 1.8mph+ steady so that you can make it in a decent time. GPS read 14.82 but the "suggested hikes" pdf on the Greylock site gives a mileage of 13.

A little more challenging than I had thought it would be. Steep, eroded in sections. Pales in comparison to March Cataract Falls on Greylock.

Great Hike, but yes, much longer than 5.5 hours or 9.7 miles. Some of mileage indicators were corrected, 1.5 changed to 2.5 to Money Brook Falls but others were way off. One indication of .5 miles to Stoney Ledge (worth the walk and best view!) must have been closer to 1.5- 2 miles. Hike is not strenuous but long except for the last 400 yards to Greylock Summit, that was a challenge, perhaps because it was after 4 hours hiking and it was in the open. We are slower than some but it took us 4-4.5 hours up and 3- 3.5 hours down.

Good hike, but longer than you think! We ran the GPS for this hike and it's actually about 13.5 miles! We only brought enough water for 9 miles, but luckily you can get food & beverages at the lodge at the top of mount Greylock. We started out going east on Money Brook trail, so we did the loop clockwise. We recommend this because the best part was the view of the three mountains we had climbed at Stoney Ledge (near the end). If you want to do this hike, get ready for a half-marathon!

Did this as a two day staying over at Wilbur shelter great hike lots of scrambles and changing vistas of note we did get a visit from a black bear at the shelter use bear box provided.

A great day hike for most skill levels. Even if your a lil hardcore, there are a couple of out and back 2000+ footers to get a good burn going. Recommend Haley Farm up to mount prospect and mount Williams before summit via AT south. Greylock provides a couple of scenic loops and beautiful waterfalls. Also in the open season bascom lodge has clean h2o up top so you can empty out all the way up and fill before descending, just call 1st... Planing a winter trip2012-2013 just waiting for snow... I'll let ya know.