Bellows Pipe Loop Trail

Bellows Pipe Loop Trail is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Adams, MA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

My grandson & I started this hike at the Notch Road Parking area. The trails are well worn so are somewhat easy to follow. It is a difficult trail as advertised. Starting at an easy uphill slope and getting increasingly steeper.The final assent to Mount Greylock summit very steep. But the Summit views made it all worth it. It offers views of Adams & North Adams, Looking distant, you can see Mountains in New York as well as in Vermont. The tower at the top was surrounded with scaffolding and was being redone. Update on previous comments about burned out floor in Bellows Pipe Leanto: The floor is repaired now but the roof is missing a lot of shingles. We returned to the parking lot by heading North on the Appalachian Trail until it connected to Bernard Farm trail. Although the AT was very rocky and steep, the going was mostly downhill so made the hike easier. We did take in a quick trip to Mount Williams summit. After the view on Greylock, the view on Mt. Williams is hardly worth the side trip. Despite the well worn trails and pretty good signage, we did miss the turnoff to Bellows Pipe on Ragged Mountain. A few more blazes here and there on the trail would be helpful. All in all, it was a tiring but gratifying day of hiking.

yxxasy

A very enjoyable hike. I went up Bellows Pipe to the still burned up floor hole in the shelter. Then the steep switchback to AT south to summit. Came back north on AT to Bernard Farm Trail. Took me 5 hours.

Did this as part of the Thoreau's Footsteps suggested hike (which I'll post as a hike on this site). The original route was to go up the Bellows Pipe trail but I decided against it since the description specifically said "steep uphill" so I summited via Bernard Farm Trail and descended via Bellows Pipe. The first 1+m was very steep. The lean-to is in bad shape with a burned out hole in the middle of it. After the lean-to the trail got much easier though seemed like the never-ending trail. There's a side trail of about 0.5m to Ragged Mountain but we skipped it and will go back to do that one. Gotta say, I think the worst part was heading back up the roadway to the Notch Rd. Parking. That road is steep! (5.5m from Summit.) Loses one star for being poorly blazed.

Started at parking on Notch Rd. Traveled back down hill a couple of hundred feet to start of Bellows pipe trail. Followed to junction with AT. AT to the summit. Met up with two guys trying to finish there end to end hike of AT. They skip MA, CT to beat the winter and were know finish this section. I hope they found out about Huricane Sandy which hit a week later. I then retrace on AT over Mt Fitch ( summit marker is 150 yards bushwack from AT) to Bernard Farm Trail. Follow this to back to parking lot. Along this trail came accross the wrekage of a plane (see picks).

We started at Hoppers Rd and took the Hopper Trail to Mt. Greylock's summit. This was really, really difficult, especially with 30 lb packs on and 80+ degree humid weather. After summiting we followed the AT to the Bellows Pipe Lean To. This was also a difficult 800ft (1.1 mile) descent that we were instantly dreading for the next morning! The lean to was not in great condition but there was a crystal clear water source near by. The next morning after the dreaded climb we followed the AT over Mt. Fitch and Mt. Williams before picking up the Money Brook Trail. The second day hike was much more enjoyable!!! All and all this was our first backpacking trip and we are now excited for the next!!