Mount Greylock and Saddle Ball Mountain

Mount Greylock and Saddle Ball Mountain is a 7.5 mile loop trail located near Cheshire, MA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

We used Rockwell Rd. Parking Area as our starting point and followed the Hopper Trail North until it met with Rockwell Road again on one of the many sharp turns. We crossed the road and followed the Appalachian Trail South to Jones Nose and the CCC Dynamite trail. back to the trail head on Rockwell Road. We chose to bypass Greylock Summit as we had hiked there the day before. Doing the trail this direction put the moderate climb at the front of the hike and the easier downhill part at the end of the hike. This easy hike offered very little in the way of Scenic Overlooks. It was a good follow up to the hard hike done the day before but offered little more than some exercise. If we had done the hike counterclockwise than the stretch of trail between Jones Nose and the AT would have been a real workout.

This is a nice trail to do. I hiked this trail as a point to point and not a loop like some people do. The first mile from the trailhead is the hardest and steepest part of the hike. Once you're on the AT, the hike pretty much levels out except for some minor inclines and declines. I arrived at the summit early, but as I was doing my decent the trail was getting crowded. Be careful while hiking this trail, because you have to cross the road 2x and watch out for drivers.

It was fantastic

Great 8 miles to the summit!

Started at Roaring Brook, side trip to March Cataract Falls, Hopper Trail to summit. Came down Overlook Trail and back down Roaring Brook. Trip was about 10 miles round trip. Not many people until the summit. Water available at the Sperry road campground. Roaring Brook was the steepest part of the day.
Trail maps available at the visitor center are worth picking up. I found them to be quite accurate. Also did the the Round Rock trail to check out the memorial at the plane wreck site from the 40's.

Roaring Brook trailhead to Stoney Ledge (hike 5) plus 1.6 for March Cataract Falls.
Summit was bust - fog - will have to go back.
Unimpressed with the naked man on the trail.
Love that there is water and shelter available.

I started at the Bellows Pipe Trailhead and did the recommended "Thoreau's Footsteps" trail which led me onto the AT up to the summit and back down via the AT and Bernard Farm Trail. All in all it was a round trip total of 9.6 miles and took about 4 hours to complete with a fifteen minute break at the summit. Gorgeous views.

Parked at Hopper Road and hiked up the Hopper Trail to the Overlook Trail to the Summit. Nice views all around. Hiked down to a campsite on Sperry Road which was nice and camped the night. Hiked down the Haley Farm Trail in the morning. Overall very enjoyable, somewhat buggy.

There are numerous trails to take from the south side. I parked at Sperry Rd (day parking only) and then jumped on the Hopper trail then went to the AT to the top. It was about 4 miles. If you park down near the campground it's a couple miles longer. I would suggest taking Hopper to the Overlook trail then ending at the summit. It's longer with a bit more scenery on the way to the top. Great views from the top.