Metacomet-Monadnock Trail

Metacomet-Monadnock Trail is a 11.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near South Hadley, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until October.

cave

Metacomet-Monadnock Trail, Holyoke area consists of multiple section of the M&M trail going over the Holyoke range, which is the most strenuous, and other mountains. Sections range from 4-7 miles point to point. Go to the AMC website for all section info.

Rugged 90% up hill hard but rewarding view peak

This a small adventure!!! Great leg workout! Beautiful & easy trail to follow!

Ran this as part of Seven Sisters trail race. Very technical in parts, with some hand-over-hand climbing to get up and down the steepest pitches. Couldn't see anything due to the fog and rain, but was told the views really are great from the peaks.

Incredible views !Lots of challenging terrain!Planf for half a day hiking

This was always one of my favorite hikes as a kid, which I've completed several times with my family, my scout troop, and once or twice with friends. It's a tough hike, with lots of steep climbs and descents, but you always feel a sense of satisfaction when you reach the visitor center. No longer living in Massachusetts, I miss this trail.

My favorite memory of this trail was when my troop hiked it in early March, 1992 as a trailing hike for a trip to Philmont Scout Ranch that several of us were going on that summer. The goal was to carry as much weight as we'd be carrying on the trip, but I hadn't bought a good pack at this point, so I loaded my cheap Academy Broadway frame pack that I got at Caldor when I first became a scout with sandbox sand and started out. The trail was still quite icy, which made it more difficult, especially when going down hill. At one point, I started to slip and, as my balance shifted, both shoulder straps of my pack came undone. The pack, now only attached to me by the hipbelt, flopped down and knocked me over, and I proceeded to slide down the hill, basically using the pack as a sled.

This section, though referred to on this site by many names and markers, and improperly identified as other segments, is defined by the AMC as the white-blazed section of the M-M trail which starts at the bottom of Mt. Holyoke in the Skinner State Park, and finishes at the bottom of Bare Mtn. at the Granby Notch Visitor Center, about 7 miles in length. I would rate it mostly Class 1, with a few sections of Class 2 or 3. I have uploaded a track of a recent traverse.
There is a unique satisfaction in completing a mountain range (well, technically we left out Norwottuck and Long Mtn...). We started at Bare (Rt. 116) at around 6 AM. We chose that route to save our knees, as the trail requires scrambling and can be treacherous on the way down. Reached the summit 20 minutes later. Next was Hitchcock, another 40 minutes, mostly flat. Breathtaking views at both summits, though Hitchcock is limited. Then came the seven sisters-- a seemingly neverending up-and-down. None of the elevation gains or losses were particularly great, but the constant shift in gears is exhausting. The toughest part was the Taylor Notch, a deep rivet in the ridgeline that descends and ascends very sharply, right before the arrival at the top. Finally, we reach the summit of Mt. Holyoke, which is truly a sight to beheld. No view comes close.
We walked down the summit road to save our legs and had parked a car at both ends-- a very good idea. The whole trip took the five of us just under 4 hours with many breaks and extended gazing at summits.
This hike was my goal for the summer and I felt very accomplished having done it all! Now I just have to go back and do it in the fall.

Amazing and kinda hard.

Beautiful and moderate to hard