Leominster State Forest Trail

Princeton, Massachusetts
Leominster State Forest Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Princeton, MA that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

canoeing

rock climbing

Nice cliffs for beginner climbing. Was able to do this at age 7/8. Great experience I will never forget.

I took a figure 8 approach to this park. I started in the parking lot nearest the swimming area, then picked up the trail out to the Crow Ledges. This is a very steep uphill, with some nice rock formations at the end. I looped back to the swimming area, then took the Ball Hill Trail. That has a longer but slower ascent.

Ball hill trail was a great hike. Nothing too strenuous but very enjoyable.

Had a total blast. Took some great pics too. Great Sunday workout.

Ball Hill Trail is a bit more than 4 miles long, and begins and ends at the parking lot near the beach. Some parts of the trail are fairly steep.

We found the trail poorly maintained, with ferns growing close to the sides of the trail and much of the soil washed out among the rocks in the hilly sections. We also encountered a lot of water on the trail, both in mud puddles and trickling across our path. I had encountered this problem here before during the spring, but didnt anticipate how much water the week's rain would leave on the trail. We came out with muddy shoes and legs, and damp socks.

The trail crosses at least 6 stone walls and passes through some pretty clearings full of ferns and some interesting boulders. I wondered what the land was used for before it became part of the state forest. The coolest part of this hike was seeing toads hopping across the trail at regular intervals on some of the low parts of the trail.

Beautiful place to hike, many different trails to hike and the trails are great.