Ice Glen Trail

Ice Glen Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stockbridge, MA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Love the challenge walking with rocks with my true friend Wendy had a blast and did the tower trail too

I like the Ice Glen trail, but it's a little tough on our dog. We really like Laura's Tower which is accessible from the same parking lot. Today we kept going out past the tower, follow the yellow blazes, after you pass through a series of ravines you settle into a nice flat trail that takes you out to Bear Town State park, we walked out and back in about 2.5 hours. Today's weather was cool and you should get an early start, when it's hot/muggy the delta wings and mosquitos can be annoying.

This is a family favorite. Lots of fun scrambling but fairly short. Gorgeous, too.

I did the hike up to Laura's tower in the spring last year. I would totally come back to this one in the fall. Nice view of Kripalu/Lenox and Stockbridge area. Will have to go back to the Ice Glen b/c didn't actually go the glen but I hear it's not too far off from the trail to Laura's (maybe 5-10 min walk?)

This is, actually, three trails maintained by the Laurel Hill Association in Stockbridge. When you park, you must cross the Housatonic River on a lovely suspension bridge with flower boxes.

The first trail I did, the Laura's Tower trail, is around a mile, uphill the whole way to the tower. It is not difficult except for the constant uphill climb. The tower has 35 steps and a nice view of the Berkshires.

Next I did the riverside trail, which is more of a walk with several benches along the way. It is well maintained and frequently used, and follows the Housatonic. There is a small loop at the far end, and then you double back. I didn't have phone service at this end of the trail. I took my 88-year-old grandmother on this trail, and she loved it. It is flat and accessible for almost anyone. It is a little over a mile out and back. There is a spot by one of the benches where you can look out over the river, or even scramble down to it, and there is a bench right near the trailhead that overlooks the river, for those who don't want to do the walking.

The third trail is the Ice Glen. This trail starts with a little uphill hiking, as it coincides with the beginning of the Laura's Tower Trail, but as soon as you turn away from the LTT, it's pretty level until you get to the glen. There is a shortcut at the beginning, if you veer right, which is steeper than the trail that coincides with the LTT trail, but meets up with the Ice Glen trail quickly. Look for the yellow diamonds attached to trees; they are marked with the Laurel Hill Association logo. The glen is characterized by boulders and rocks on which you have to climb, but it's pretty manageable. When you get into a few of the areas where you're in between a lot of big rocks, the temperature drops noticeably, which was a welcome relief. The trail isn't marked well in this area, but if you look around, you can see staircases made from the rocks, which are always the way to go. When you get to the bench with the heart, a house, and a road with more houses, it's time to turn back. I stopped here to take a picture, and a dragonfly landed on my phone. Partway back, there is a misdirection in red spray paint. It says PATH with an arrow to the right. Trusting this advice would make you fall several feet; go left instead. I liked that this hike was more about climbing around on rocks and not just a constant ascent. When I say climbing on rocks, I didn't have any equipment at all, and none was needed. There was also a little bridge at one point, and many small caves that I had no interest in disturbing, since I was hiking alone. I passed a family with a bunch of adults, a dog, and two kids- maybe 9 and 11- who were doing the Ice Glen trail and then the LTT, who seemed to be having no problems.

Bring some sort of protection against bugs, or plan to swat, shoo, slap, and swear the whole time.

This is a very easy walk. The trail is well maintained and is wheelchair accessible for the most part along the river.

A little tougher in snow and ice conditions, but a very level and tranquil walk. Plenty of benches and wildlife. Wonderful historic suspension bridge at trailhead.

Took the kids with us on the trail. The youngest are 4 and 5 they had a blast. Trails here are manageable for them. The scenery is really impressive and the trails a very well maintained

Easy trail and absolutely beautiful. If you go here in the warm season the moss on the rocks is INCREDIBLE. It makes you feel like you are in a different world. Plenty of neat "caves" from the giant boulders to explore and climb up, and safe for dogs for the most part, just pay attention. If your dog is not much of an adventure dog, you should probably be picky about the route you take, it can get slippery here at times, and a 5-6-10 foot fall wouldnt be fun with a canine companion.

Fantastic quick hike with stunning geologic views.

Another of my favorites, exploring the small caves as a kid was awesome. The old footbridges are still there.

This is a really awesome short hike. The ice glen is a subclimate and is 20-30 degrees cooler than the temperature outside of the glen. You can often find ice in the glen in early summer. There are also some interesting historic markers along the way. Enjoy!!!