Dunbar Brook Trail

Dunbar Brook Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Adams, MA that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of my favorite western Mass trails. Unlike most other trails in this area, its not straight up the side of a mountain, so perfect for trail running and probably snowshoeing in the winter. Very well kept, though I couldn't find the bridge listed at .8 miles & had to wade across the river.

I did my first solo overnight backpacking at the Dunbar Brook shelter. I choose a water side tent site down the bank from the shelter. Access to a crystal clear, refreshingly cool pool was 30 feet from my tent. there was a fire ring and some left over firewood. The hiking was OK. The trails are in tough condition. A footbridge that use to allow you to pass from the trail head to the Dunbar Brook path has been washed away. I had to take off my boots and wade across. It was about 2.5 ft at the deepest point in the wade. A regular visitor informed me that Hurricane Irene did a lot of trail damage. There were a lot of gnats and mosquitoes. Off was a God send. My goal was backpacking and overnight camping solo, so that was a success. The trails were not interesting enough to entice me to drive 3 hours again. If I lived closer I might give it more attention.