Dolan Center Launch to Town Landing Lane

Dolan Center Launch to Town Landing Lane is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Dedham, MA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

1.8 miles 8 feet Point to Point

canoeing

whitewater kayaking

The trail is great for kayaking / canoeing and normally takes 1 hour or less.

canoeing

To be totally honest, I don't do this exact trail. I kayak the up-river section of this and start and finish at the Dolan Center. I also do the water trail loop that is about 6.7 miles long (roughly 4hrs). The loop covers this trail and then some. It is a nice little place. I also have taken a SUP over this area. The current is not too strong (sometimes in the spring it is stronger but still not that strong).The river is not deep in this area (a few inches to 5 feet). I bring my dog out with me and he likes to swim along side me (he does wear a life vest) and it is shallow enough that he mixes swimming and wading.I tend only do the loop in the spring because the section called the Long Ditch gets very shallow in the summer. I go downstream when doing the loop so that the ditch is the only part that is upstream. There are some fish in the river. I've seen some success fishing( I personally don't fish). There are snapping turtles around here so FYI. The Charles is also popular with beavers and deer. Lots of ducks and geese and the occasional Great Blue Herring.

The parking lot at the launch is down the hill from the community center. In the spring/summer, there are baseball games at the field right beside the parking lot so it can be really busy (technically only vehicles with rooftop racks are allowed to park down there but that is never enforced).

There are rentals provided through the town of Dedham of canoes and kayaks. Check out their website for more info on that.

On the weekends, LL Bean runs a discovery school out of the Dolan Center launch. It can be busy depending on the class sizes.

From the launching parking lot, there is also a little trail off to the side. It is an easy trail. The dog loves it. If you follow it, it can lead to either New Bridge on the Charles's trails or a street and on the other side of the street is Wilson Mountain.