Cheshire Harbor Trail to Mount Greylock

Cheshire Harbor Trail to Mount Greylock is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Adams, MA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

6.3 miles 1940 feet Out & Back

The easiest and shortest ascent route from base to summit of Mount Greylock, the highest peak in Massechusetts. Spectacular views at summit.

great trail, amazing view

This hike I found to be rather fulfilling. Not in the traditional sense with 1 great view at the top, but more so everything encompassed together as a whole.
The trail is very easy to follow and pretty straightforward winding a bit through the woods. It was raining and snowy when I went which made the walk a bit easier actually but slowed me down a bit. (Easier but slower steps).
With about 3/4 of a mile remaining the trail crosses the road and dips into some thick woods. There's a nice little lake with a cabin that you walk around before you reach the road again and a bit further to the summit. Very peaceful area and during the summer the lodge is open where in my opinion would be a great place to unwind and grab a bite before you go back down. The view is very nice but it can be windy up top.
Because the trail isn't too rocky and is a steady incline up and decline down, it won't take particularly long to finish. I would rate this as a moderate hike as no point is really that steep or challenging. The best part is the last mile.

We did this trail in late April 2016. Our first hike for the year. It was an easy one to start off the season with. Quite a few people at the top but very quiet pleasant views. The restaurant was not open yet at the top so no concerns of large amounts of people. Well maintained trails. This took us about 5/6 hours to complete.

Great trail. One of my favorites on Mt. Greylock. Trail is usually well maintained and with the exception of Columbus Day weekend, not heavily populated.

Great hike up Mt Greylock. Fairly easy hike. Some steep parts but not too strenuous.

This was an excellent trail. Hiked it on the coldest weekend of October and it was snowing at the summit. Caught the lodge on its last day open for the season. Loved the AT and can't wait to go back to do more of the trails up Greylock.

This is a favorite of mine to run to the summit of Mt Greylock. Sections are strenuous at times. There is a picturesque pond near the top. I love the WWII monument at the summit. And the views are great.

Great trail to the summit of Mt. Greylock. ook about 2 hours & 30minutes. Finally found a trail that brings you to the summit of Mt. Greylock. Very wide trail& easy enough as the grade is gradual. A must do!

Great trail to use for your first hike up Greylock...can be pretty wet...like it was today. 6/18/15

Been eager to ascend Mt. Greylock for quite some time and as a newbie in the hiking world, I went in a bit anxious. Trail was pretty challenging (again I'm new) but it was a lot of fun. About 1/2 to 1 foot of snow in certain parts towards the top and that slowed us up a good amount. Views at the top were 100% worth the trek however. A few groupings of people throughout the day were seen and I can only imagine this place swells with numbers once the auto road opens up. TIP: Composting toilets at the summit (Over the weekend anyways) do not have TP, so plan accordingly. Will be back!

The view at the top is definitely worth the challenging hike up! We were doing the ascent for time and got there in 70 minutes but our heart rates were elevated the entire time. I can't wait to go back in the fall.

I survived the Mt. Greylock Nature Ramble. The hiking conditions were muddy, slippery, and rocky. The flow of hikers' was heavy. What a GREAT time!! I was sooo inspired to see a 93 year old accomplishing this hike. Stick with it because it's worth the hike :)

Picked a bad day to decide to reconquer this trail to the summit. The trail conditions were fine. Very light traffic. Very few hikers. The air temps were in the 90s and the humidity was extremely high which made the air thick and the climb difficult. The trail was easier than I had remembered. Forested on the way up with varying degrees of difficulty due to steepness of trail. Terrain obstacles included roots and rocks. The Appalachian Trail North section remains my favorite part. A bit more challenging than the rest of the trail and rated by most sites as strenuous but by that point, you're so ready to reach the summit, the distance flies by. There is a pond surrounded by tall pines and an AT shelter at the banks. Worth the hike. I would recommend returning via Gould though to West Mountain Road. Be careful if you return via Gould to watch for signs pointing toward West Mountain Road Parking area. Also if you return this way, keep in mind that the parking area is about mile down West Mountain Road than the entrance to Cheshire Harbor Trail's parking area.

Awesome hike. Views from the summit were great. Barely anyone on the trails but the summit was packed (most people drove up the access road). The tower was cool with expanded views of the different ranges. Definitely suggest this hike.

Decided to hike this one today. My husband and I have only been hiking consistently for about a month on the weekends. The overall, 2 hours to the top and about the same down, but that's because we took the long way across Gould's Trail.
The first mile of the CHT was on the easy end of moderate. It became progressively more difficult the longer the trail went, increasing in grade and obstacles (roots and rocks). At some points there were rocks and roots that were probably about 2' off the ground that you had to step up onto. Once you cross the road and start following the Appalachian Trail North, the trail changes a bit. At first, you start thinking it won't be too bad, more of those same moderate conditions of rocks and roots. You pass over a bunch of board bridges, past a pretty pond with a structure at one end. Past that it starts getting strenuous. It is steep, narrow in points, and definitely will get your heart rate up. The summit is okay. I think the views are better on Talcott and Sleeping Beauty. It is very tourist-y at the top with plenty of people who drove up instead of hiked, but still plenty of hikers, mountain bikers, road bikers, etc.
The food at the lodge was pretty good. There's a small gift shop and rest rooms.
The way down you follow AT South, then according to the "suggested hikes" from the Greylock site, you follow Gould's Trail down. Gould's is narrow but not bad in intensity. We branched off to the Pecks Brook Shelter Trail, thinking it was the one we supposed to take. There's a shelter for camping and a rock fire pit. Off to the right of that was a waterfall. We doubled back onto the Gould's trail and then followed down and found the Peck's Brook Loop by finding a half broken Cheshire Trail direction sign leaning on a downed tree. That trail was tough. Narrow. Eroded in spots. Go down into a ravine and then a very steep climb on a very narrow path back up quite a distance 'til you get to the CHT. Of course then, the rest of the way isn't bad at all because you've along got a little over a mile left of the CHT.
Overall, I think we spent 6 hours on the trail, but we rested a while at the top and probably about a half hour at the shelter. We were also slow on the way down because I got sick.