Union Mills Trail

Union Mills Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westminster, MD that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take a rugged hike through rural northern Carroll County, slogging over creeks, through steep switchbacks, and pleasant rolling fields. The trail, which is dirt and crushed rock, plunges into a grove of pines. Then it runs along a ridge with a slight rise on the left and a steep plunge on the right. At the top of the hill, it opens up, which gives you a nice vista of woods and fields loaded with goldenrod! This hike is a great adventure! This is not a hike for new hikers due to how rugged it is. This is considered on the easy side of strenuous not because of the mileage but because of the terrain, switchbacks, and slogging over creeks.

TH is on John ownings road, before you reach the Hashawa entrance.
I enjoyed doing this as a night hike,once you get through the pine trees,the rest is pretty straight forward.
Not sure I would rate this as a moderate hike,closer to easy.
That's just my personal opinion.
For a quick hike fix this works.

Closed Monday Wednesday and Friday Sept 1st through Feb 15th. Just a heads up. A bit disappointed I couldn't go today.

One of my favorite trails in Carroll Co. Wear tall boots so you can traverse the streams. It gets muddy.

Come to a road and the green trail just stops. instead of turning back around, go left and you will see the bird sanctuary. The trail blazes are now white and takes you to the bear branch nature center

Took this trail yesterday. The address listed under directions, 307 John Owings Rd , is a bad address. That is someone's house. Make the left on Hashawah Rd, park at lot on left and the trail starts to the left of Lake Hashawa.. There are a number of trails to take, yellow blazes, white blazes. The trail that comes past the injured bird sanctuary is green blazes, the Vista Trail.

Hike was nice but river crossing is required. Water was to deep to wade so we went upstream to cross over on a fallen tree. No breathtaking views but lots of nature. Markers were ok, used phone for navigation.

Followed trail to Saw Mill following 'The Boulevard' and return taking a section called the lower trail. The tracker for this app called it 5 miles. This is a great trail and I am stunned by how few people take advantage of it. There is also parking at Saw Mill. To me two hours and twenty minutes to do this trail. I use trekking poles which I find helpful on hills and rough ground. Oh yeah saw lots of deer and a few horses

Great Trail close to my house. Not to difficult. There are a couple of hills that are a little steep. You can take quite a few different directions that make a little different each time. My dog loves it!

This is a great trail. Easy to find and follow. Couple big hills but nothing to difficult. Took my 13 & 10 yr old daughters and it was easy for them. We will go back with our dogs. We saw some people on horse back there.
We started the trail at John Owings Rd and followed it to the end at Saw Mill Rd, turned around and came back. Took us two hours.