Thurston Griggs to Appalachain Trail to Black Rock

Thurston Griggs to Appalachain Trail to Black Rock is a 3.4 mile out and back trail located near Myersville, MD that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from February until November.

From White Oak Dr, Hagerstown, MD to Black Rock Summit

Great view, trail is rocky and with foliage on it, slippery. We loved it!

This trail was difficult but fun!

Enjoyed it very much. It was
well worth the drive and the hike!

Difficult for a beginner- very rocky and steep uphill climb. Tread carefully on the way down, especially when the rocks are wet. Beautiful hike, though! Once you get on the AT white blaze it's much easier.
There is parking at the trail head at the dead end of White Oak Rd.

Tough climb with the kiddos.

Great trail! Very rocky so make sure you have on boots. A lot of the trail follows a stream that you cross twice. Beautiful views at the top!

This is a fun trail that I will do again. My wife and I are in our mid 20s and while it was a nice steep climb, it is not super challenging. We took our 1 year old dog along and it was great for her as well. Discovered that at the intersection where you meet up with the Appalachian trail there is a little camp site, which would be a great overnight camp out in the wilderness.

Ascend to the rocks for a great view. Descend and grab some cold water from the stream.

Great hike! Rocky, but a really fun one!

Great trail. Even with ice and snow!

This is a very rocky trail at times so be ready with good boots, I hiked it today in flip flops and I do not recommend doing it that way again. I read a review that said this .9 trail to the Pogo campsite was a 15-20 min hike. Don't believe it, I hike a lot and plan to post a lot now that I have joined. This is a rough and rocky hike, not for kids under six or seven, it is not a dangers trail but the rocks require judgment in how you clime and more so in the decent. I was only trying the trail to see if it would be good for my girls so I went about 2 miles up then came back down. The camp ground and spring are cool, the mutable stream crossings are nice, but again not for young kids. I found a pair of mermaid sunglasses on the trail that I am sure were lost when some little girl fell down on the footing.