Switchback Trail

Switchback Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marriottsville, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Ellicott City, MD: Travel west along Interstate 70 several miles taking exit 83. Head north approximately 4 miles on Marriottsville Road to reach the state park entrance. Parking is available immediately after the contact station.

25 minutes ago

Really enjoyed the trail.

This was a fun trail--as others have said, not easy but an enjoyable moderate. The ranger told me that Switchback is actually 4.5 mi. Muddy and rocky in sections. If u follow the white hash marks u will not get off the trail. Saw pileated woodpecker and belted kingfisher. Less enjoyable was hearing the firing range nearby, very loud on the last 1/4 of the trail.

It was my first time going out hiking here in Maryland, in fact it was my first time in many years. It was a nice hike but all I heard besides the streams when I was along side of it was continuous gunfire from the gun range across the way. I normally don't mind gunfire, I love to shoot my own guns from time to time, but it was non stop the entire hunt. It was a nice trail, great scenery, but I didn't see much wildlife.

Wow...loved it!! We hiked it with our five and eight year olds + my step father; it took about hours and 15 minutes. Great views!! Lots of places to fish & have a picnic lunch beside the river.

Amazing hike!!! I would not rate easy at all due to the climbs and descents.

Certainly not a bad trail but there are sections that certainly aren't biker friendly ie trees crossing the trail and stairs. aside from that I really enjoyed my first lap. I would recommend starting on the west side and running it counter clockwise though.

This was the first hike my husband and I have taken. Great trail - a little flat land, a few hills, some rock climbing, and some great water views of the rapids. Got a little off course at the end, didn't even realize it but we were able to track up a hill to get back on track. We would come back for sure.

Great trail, scenic, very easy and flat with only one brief but steep climb. Actual distance was 8.3 miles according to map my run for the full loop. Not sure where 3.8 came from. Perhaps a dyslexic entry.