Soldiers Delight-Serpentine Trail

Soldiers Delight-Serpentine Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Owings Mills, MD that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easiest to navigate trail at Soldiers Delight. Typically muddy in the spring and fall, some stream crossing and great views

A very enjoyable and rather easy hike even on this July summer day at noontime in 90+ degree heat. Most of the trail is in full sunlight. Only about 1/2 mile of it is in the shade. Do visit the visit center if you have the time and if it is open. Very knowledgeable staff. I learned a lot about serpentine rock/soil, chromite, and grassland ecology, and what made this place so unique not just in Maryland, but in the entire eastern seaboard.

Nice trail. Ran the Choate Mine, Red Run and part of the Dolfield trail sections. Could not figure out how to continue the Dolfield Trail from the 1.3 point on this map, back to Choate Trail. Ended up out on Dolfield Rd and took that back to Deer Pk Rd. Brought home an unwanted guest...a tick of some kind!

Great trail. Only thing is that our dog got 4 ticks... Still counting

This trail is rated moderate but would probably consider it rather easy. Wet in many spots thanks to the forty days and forty nights of rain previously!

Ended up lost, some areas do not have signs. Almost beware of ticks and chiggers.

Amazing! I love it!

This trail is great if you're looking for an easier hike. I come here a couple times a month and it never gets old. The savannah is beautiful! Some of the other Soldiers Delight trails left me with a lot of tick bites so make sure to check yourself afterwards. However, I've never had ticks after this trail.

WOW - what a great area with a lot of natural history - this is a great hike and will do it again. JUST FYI - keep your valuables secure - my car was broken into in the parking lot. DO NOT LET THAT CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT THE HIKE OR THE AREA - Beautiful area and I will be back. Car breaks ins are done by heartless idiots and can happen anywhere!! I will be back!!

Had an excellent time was a excellent Trail to use of radio controlled Axial Wraith

I used to run this trail often. Great terrain change pretty views and not very crowded!

We are a family of five. Wife, husband 7 year old, 8 year old and a 5 month old. We did the Serpentine trail for our very first hike ever. I had my baby wrapped in a carrier and we were off. My girls loved it. We nearly forgot we were in Maryland. The terrain is rocky, we passed a small stream, and there was a point where I felt like we were in the Hunger Games lol. Long story short we loved it, perfect for a novice hiker. Now I am growing to love hiking.

It might only be a long, rocky hike to most people. But if you understand geology and ecology, this hike is amazing.

I decided to hike it in the middle of Summer, which may have seemed like a mistake, but it was a great experience. When crossing the LARGE serpentine field, with nearly no shade and scrub grass all around, I nearly forgot I was in Maryland.

If you are interested in just what makes this place so special, check this out...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_Delight_Natural_Environmental_Area.

There are plants, tress and certain types of rocks/minerals you will only find in areas like this and no where else.

Not much to look at when you do this trail. Boring and rocky.

I grew up hiking this trail as it was literally in my back yard as a kid. Our property backed up to Soldiers Delight so as kids we were on these trails all the time. Its actually a great little hike not far from Reisterstown Rd. near Franklin Blvd. and easy to get to from 795. You can park at the overlook and hike the loop. Its got some rocky terrain areas but for the most part it is pretty easy hiking. There is an old mine back there off the trail that's pretty cool if you can find it. I have found all kinds of cool animals and things on the trails, from an old turtle shell to broken off deer antlers. There is a ranger station on the loop, and I am not sure if they still do it but years ago they did a Halloween hike thing at the rangers station that was spooky and fun for kids. This is a great place to bring your dog as long as your dog is medium to large, may be hard to get a little Yorkie through some sections. There is one main trail that has Deer Park Rd. running through it, but there are smaller loops on both sides of the road if you don't feel like crossing a road. Unfortunately you can't mountain bike there, but its great for dogs, hiking, and trail running. Enjoy

What a surprise to find this interesting and rare geological site in the middle of Baltimore County. The history and detail of the Soldiers Delight area is reason enough to just visit. Today's hike was under slate gray skies with a cold Northerly wind. The conditions and late winter season created a space devoid of color except for the serpentine color of the trail (hence the name.) It was a great hike with the dog and a reluctant 17 year old. Definitely try it. It's not easy with multiple changes in elevation and a rocky trail. Here's a warning though: in the summer there is absolutely no shade for most of the trail. That and the rocks will make this very hot!

Great little hike. Not too tough, though it was rough terrain. Lot of birds, baby snake crossed the trail in front of me. Trails at Soldiers Delight look and feel like dry stream beds. Short commute for me and was relaxing and fun. Trail crosses a couple of streams, may get wet feet.