Soapstone Trail

Soapstone Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Catonsville, MD that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

There are several spots to climb along the "River Road Trail" that runs along the SOUTH side of the Patapsco River. The spot I climbed/belayed was .5 mile hike and it was great. If you go past the Bloede Dam you've gone to far. There are several spots to climb: and a lot of them would be great for beginners.

This mapped trail is much easier if you park your car in the Park at the Glen Artney Area. At Lost Lake, drive through the Tunnel and go straight up the road and park at Soapstone ( Bottom of this Map ) near the bathrooms. Start walking the LEFT side of this trail first. Its easier to come down the Bike Jumper Trail. I am a handicap senior and have done it many times.

so peaceful

Well maintained trail, good markings.

Absolutely loved this trail! Be sure to pick up a map though, as I got stuck in the bull run trail for a bit as it stems off of the soapstone trail. I parked at the end of I95 and it worked out nicely.

Nice walk but the trail markings are sub par at best and some areas are very over grown with vegetation. We also found ourselves having to take game trails to get back to the main trail.

There were several creeks in which I saw fish, crayfish and a frog. The trails are good, not too intense and not too easy. I liked the scenery. It seems like a good place to bike. It's definitely one of the best trails near where I live. Will go back to explore the other trails that I haven't explored yet.

It was a real challenge navigating for the first time. I lost the trail a few times and had to backtrack a lot. Otherwise, the views were spectacular and the traffic was very light (started hiking at 8:45 am). Those inclines are no joke, and are all over the loop. If you're looking for an easy and even path, this is not the trail for you. I loved the challenge and the scenery was very rewarding. Will be visiting again.

Lots of inclines for a good workout!

It was fun! Got to see a lot and enjoyed the serenity. It was a bit difficult finding the trail (I came in from Eddie's Welding shop/the area below the waterfall.) but once I did, I enjoyed myself. Stay hydrated and if crossing the stream, know that the rocks are very slippery.

It's a nice path. You cross streams a lot. The second part does past the parking lot and that hill is quite challenging but worth it.

This trail was so much fun! Lots of little streams to jump on rocks to cross it which is super fun yet challenging because its so slippery. We got a little lost and tried to take our own route but then we ended up back on the purple trail! It wasn't too hard besides the rocks.

Nice trail if you get out early to beat the rush. Connects to just about every trail i patapsco.

You can start the trail at the end of Interstate 195W on route 166 where there is parking along the road. The trail is marked with a purple blaze but some of the intersections along the route are not well marked. The trail heads down a small valley crossing the stream several times and the trail can get muddy after a rain. You will arrive at a small parking lot and a set of bathrooms (didn't check to see if they were open) The trail continues up the hill on the other side. Right before you get to a paved access road, turn left to continue down the trail which will end at another access road which, if you take it to the left, you will return to the small parking lot. Turn right to head down to the Patapsco river and other trails. As you head back up the Soapstone Trail to your car you can take the Bull Run trail which branches off to the left for a quick trip up to the top of the hill, a loop around the top and back down. I hiked hike both trails along with a quick trip down to the river in about an hour and a half. My highlight was seeing a Pileated Woodpecker.

Hard to find at first as it is across from a park and ride but once in the trail is was a nice trek through the woods. You eventually get into the park. Nice and not too hard

rock climbing

no one was around and the climb was pretty great. several spots to climb and belay