Soapstone Trail

Soapstone Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Catonsville, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

There are several spots to climb along the "River Road Trail" that runs along the SOUTH side of the Patapsco River. The spot I climbed/belayed was .5 mile hike and it was great. If you go past the Bloede Dam you've gone to far. There are several spots to climb: and a lot of them would be great for beginners.

This mapped trail is much easier if you park your car in the Park at the Glen Artney Area. At Lost Lake, drive through the Tunnel and go straight up the road and park at Soapstone ( Bottom of this Map ) near the bathrooms. Start walking the LEFT side of this trail first. Its easier to come down the Bike Jumper Trail. I am a handicap senior and have done it many times.

so peaceful

Well maintained trail, good markings.

Absolutely loved this trail! Be sure to pick up a map though, as I got stuck in the bull run trail for a bit as it stems off of the soapstone trail. I parked at the end of I95 and it worked out nicely.

Nice walk but the trail markings are sub par at best and some areas are very over grown with vegetation. We also found ourselves having to take game trails to get back to the main trail.

There were several creeks in which I saw fish, crayfish and a frog. The trails are good, not too intense and not too easy. I liked the scenery. It seems like a good place to bike. It's definitely one of the best trails near where I live. Will go back to explore the other trails that I haven't explored yet.