Perimeter Trail

Perimeter Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Upper Marlboro, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

whitewater kayaking

bridge out

Good mountain biking trail. Unpaved and well maintained single-width path through the woods. Watch for roots, branches and other hazards. Traffic is in both directions. Lots of good elevation changes and challenges such as creek crossings without bridges. Loop entrance map claims that it's a 9-mile loop but different GPS units show between 9.5 and 10 miles. Trail is adequately marked but there are a few spots that aren't immediately clear.

Either I got lost, or this trail is 10.5, not 9.5. I based my morning off of one less mile and was not happy about missing a work meeting.

As a hiker, I had a poor experience. I was continuously stepping aside as best I could to avoid large groups of mountain bikers. Trail was not clear and we managed to circle back to the start of the train twice, never getting to do the whole loop.

Did all 9 hiking today. Exhausting! Didn't even see a bug! But I like that. Probably beautiful as leaves change.

Nice, smooth, flow-y single-track - Nothing technical. There are a few climbs, but nothing long and/or crazy steep. It can be dangerous as visibility is low and some people decide to hike/bike counter clockwise. But overall it's great and has become my go-to trail since moving to the area.

I deducted one star because the markings are not great and a few times I got to an fork or area and had to just pick a way to go and hope I stayed on the loop. Soon after you start, you'll hit an abandoned parking lot; Continue through it and across the road you'll see the trail continue.

Good lengthy trail and pushes you a little with the rolling elevations and switchbacks. I did this on a ninety degree day and it was warm in the forest but not too bad. Take more water than you think you need. I thought the signage could have been better as it's interspersed with the same white markers but there are segment numbers, mileage markers and directional arrrows. You never know exactly what you are going to know when you come up to one. I also did not understand why there were no trail maps displayed at the two locations where there could have been other than the initial entrance. ( abandoned parking lot and the road crossing to the wooden bridge). I agree that most of the traffic I met with were hiking the trail counter clockwise while I was going clockwise for the same "hills early" reason some other hikers commented on. I was out there for most of the afternoon and only came across ten people (Saturday). Three on bikes, two on foot walking their dogs, five hiking.