Patapsco Valley Hilltop Area Trail

Patapsco Valley Hilltop Area Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ellicott City, MD that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September.

pvsp hilton area is a 4.1 mile trail located near Ellicott City, Maryland. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking & mountain biking.

I believe some people are confused. The (Hilltop) Area is not the same as the (Hilton) Area. The best access point for the Hilton Area is 1101 Hilton Ave, Catonsville, Md. Now, if you plan to hike the Hilltop Loop then park at S. Hilltop Rd. location or at the Ilchester Rd. lot by the foot bridge. You can even park at the Swinging Bridge in the Orange Grove area but you will have to paid to enter the park. To keep the trails maintained, Your SUPPORT is needed.

My daughter and I hike the Patapsco State Park at least once a week The Hilltop trail loop is fairly easy for me. I am a handicap, overweight and in my mid-60’s. We always park at the Swinging Bridge. I found this trail much easier if you start at the tunnel and go up the Sawmill side first. It’s more a gradual uphill then starting at the Hilltop area. This way the whole second half of the trail is all down hill and the last mile is a flat surface.

wife and I did this trail on a warmer fall day. there was one somewhat tricky spot due to the incline but overall we really enjoyed the trail.

Great trail!

buzzard rock trail (part of the loop) kicks my butt!

I've been on this trail and just about every one in this part of the park. This is a really great trail if you like a little bit of every thing the scenery is great. It does have some steep hills and the rocks can get slippery so just be careful and watch your step.I tend to like to explore and go off the if you haven't done this trail I suggest you try it.

I completed this hike in January, which made some of the sections more challenging. There was a steep rocky incline that could be more dangerous when it is icy or muddy. I also had to cross the iced over river at one section, which I would not recommend.

Overall, the hike was really nice. It was not too crowded and was well marked. I would recommend printing out a map before you go. The parking lot to for the Hilton loop is located at 1101 Hilton Ave, Cantonsville, Md.

Happy Hiking!

Great hike with plenty of opportunity for distance. Loved the bridges and the views of the river. Crossed over and hiked a good portion of the orange area as well. Beautiful, uncrowded (on a Friday) and clean.

Recommend you print the map from DNRs website, bring water and leave young kids at home.