Paw Paw Tunnel Trail

Paw Paw Tunnel Trail is a 3.8 mile out and back trail located near Oldtown, MD that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Cumberland, MD: Travel east on MD State Route 51 about 25 miles to the tunnel trailhead parking lot located on the left hand side of the road. The trail begins at the back of the lot.

me and my family went really enjoyed ourselves not for beginner hikers

Excellent shorty.

A must do for hikers. My family really enjoyed this hike. We did have a little difficulty getting there as the GPS directions we got here were wrong. I think it will work if you plug in Paw Paw tunnel or campground on highway 51. . We parked at the campground and it was a .5 walk to the tunnel. Everything was well marked. We choose to go thru the tunnel first and then walked along the C and O canal for a few miles after. We did forget the flashlights in the car, lol, but used our cell phones flashlights which worked very well. The tunnel was fun and really dark On the way back we liked the Paw Paw Tunnel trail over the tunnel. It was very steep and about 2 miles long. In hide sight we should have done the trail first and gone thru the tunnel on the way back to the car.

Almost skipped this trail on a road trip I was doing and my boyfriend and I were SO glad we didn't. The tunnel was awesome- a little freaky if you're claustrophobic, but a gorgeous view. Our only mistake/regret was somehow getting a weird address and ending up off-roading essentially down a weird dirt back road that led to the back end of the trail. We ended up nearly getting stuck and having a pretty steep climb to get back up to the car from the canal. So definitely try to find the address that leads you to the parking lot, which for some reason I just wasn't able to find while out on the road.

A hike with a taste of history is a winning combo for me! After one goes thru the tunnel , another option to return a different way is an added bonus! Make your date to experience this!!!

Great

Beautiful and interesting hike. Be sure to eat at the relatively nearby "Panorama at the Peak" restaurant.

geocaching

Great hike
We went through the tunnel it was wet and muddy in some spots then we hiked over the top and came back down to the tunnel entrance

The history here makes me give it a 5! Plus The cool tunnel is an extra bonus on a hot summer day!

Wonderful ride over the tunnel and even better through it on the way back. Perhaps one of the better maintained tunnels in the region for trail riders. It is bumpy and cool but very exciting!

The overland (Tunnel Hill) trail is the only one open at this time- a partial collapse at one side of the tunnel prevents a through the tunnel walk. This trail was a standard in local boyscout troops. Both side are scenic. The city of PawPaw nearby has a few stores. Theres is a campsite nearby at the parking lot access.

Please note there is some confusion across the reviews on this page... There are 2 different trails; one goes "through" the Paw Paw Tunnel (which is part of the C&O Canal Trail). The second trail is an alternative trail which bypasses the tunnel. It's a very nice hiking trail with great views.... and a very helpful detour if you're claustrophobic or if the Paw Paw Tunnel itself is closed. Here's a link to the gov site that explains the difference: http://www.canaltrust.org/discoveries/points.php?pointID=214

Be sure to take flashlights. Shine light around inside tunnel and you will see bats, just hanging around. Pretty cool.

If you just round trip tunnel, it is flat, no hills. We did loop up over mountain. Very nice and peaceful.

Easy trail. Nice, quiet section along the canal. Beautiful old trees.

Awesome little trail through a very historic tunnel/canal. Take the tunnel ( be sure to bring flashlights) and return using the trail over the hill. Overall about 5 miles. Beautiful and serene. If you keep only to the low trail, very flat.