Patuxent Research Refuge, North Tract

Patuxent Research Refuge, North Tract is a 4.9 mile loop trail located near Laurel, MD. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for walking, trail running, and mountain biking.

Very pretty trails, easy

mostly gravel road with door knob sized rocks which made navigation dicey. I actually went passed the sugar gum loop to the lake. that added a little more distant, but is the better route to see the waves of grain on the way to a beautiful pond.

Disappointing. The 'trails' are just gravel roads with the exception of 2 mile, natural surface Forest Trail, which is nice.
Because there is unexploded ordinance (UOX) in the woods, you have to check in and check out at the 'Ranger Contact Station' (I can understand checking in-- but checking out? If my car is gone, I left!)
The maps provided at the Contact Station are out of scale and do not show side trails/access trails, nor do they indicate the color of blazes on the trails.
I saw no wildlife.

There are a lot of trails in this area. The day I went was during hunting season so many of the trails were closed to hikers. The trails I was able to go one were flat and clear. Nice view of open areas, heavily wooded ones, wetlands and ponds. I cannot wait to go back after the hunting season to hike the remaining trails.