Monocacy Natural Resources Area Trail

Monocacy Natural Resources Area Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dickerson, MD that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible from March until August. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Adventure hike on unmarked trails This hike can be an adventure in finding your way around. However, you can gain a great sense of accomplishment if you can cover all the trails shown on the map. The trails are unmarked and appear to be maintained only by the passage of feet, hooves (shod and cloven), and water. Some of the trails are the 200-year-old remnants of wagon trails. The quarry and lime kiln are reputed to be over 200 years old and were used for construction of the Monocacy River Aqueduct which is nearby and worth a side trip. From the Route 28 parking area, Trail A is about 2.6 miles one way. Trail B is about 1.6 miles one way. Trail C is about 2.14 miles one way. The Long Trail is the subject of a separate hike page. The Monocacy NRA is a hunting area in season. Check the Maryland Dept of Natural Resources for info. Some low-lying trails can be muddy and the numerous crossings of Furnace Creek can be wet in high-water conditions. Unsuitable for bikes.

Wagon bridge was a pleasant surprise. A lot of overgrown vegetation. A few stream crossings.

Trail was swampy and overgrown. At top of loop, lots of "Private Property" and "Beware of Dog" signs, and we were chased out of completing it by two large dogs. Multiple creek crossings required going off-trail to locate passable points. A lovely, easy stroll, but the trail needs some work (and some policing of local pets!).

Did this a few weeks ago, definitely under used and overgrown. Very peaceful! To get to the kiln, I believe we kept right every time the path forked. You will have to make a few creek crossings, but rocks are well placed. It was very overgrown and we didn't realize we had found the kiln until it was right there.

A good vigorous walk from the parking lot on Rt-28, but I didn't know where I was going, so I had to limit my distance so I wouldn't get lost. There were no trail markers. I asked a question a few weeks ago for a trail map of the area, but no one has responded or maybe I don't know where to find the response. Years ago I found the kiln. I thought I was on the right trail this time, but was stopped by creek and saw no way to get across it.

Ken Baker
(I would appreciate a response, but if I get one, I probably won't be able to find it)