Monocacy National Battlefield Trails

Monocacy National Battlefield Trails is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Frederick, MD that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Thomas Farm and Middle Ford Ferry Trails. This is a two part trail. Thomas Farm trail is 1.75 miles and Middle Ford Ferry trail is .25 mile. Thomas Farm-This trail covers the part of the battlefield where the heaviest fighting took place during the Battle of Monocacy, on July 9, 1864. Middle Ford Ferry-This trail explores early settlement of the Monocacy Region and provides peaceful views of the Monocacy River and the surrounding landscape.

There are actually five different trails within Monocacy Battlefield: Thomas Farm, Junction Trail, Gambrill Mill Trail, Ford Loop, and Brooks Hill - all at various stops within the battlefield tour. I've completed the Thomas Farm loop so far.

Awesome

I do the loop for a trail run a few times a year...just a nice all around trail...a little of everything as far as scenery goes and the trail is in decent shape...enjoy my time here...

Ford Loop Trail: 1.6 miles
Walked with the pups just before sunset. Mosquitos are a tad annoying when the breeze stops, so bug spray is recommended. Pretty consistent elevation with a few small wooden bridges and lots of grazing cattle and deer.

Very nice, Pretty scenery all around the trails. Easy to walk. The river close by is gorgeous I recommend this

Took my girls out on their first hike in MD and they enjoyed it! Perfect for toddlers! It was easy and long enough for a 3 year old and a 5 year old. We saw lots of cows and deers. We was able to walk down to the path towards the river and it was a nice view. We went during the evening, before sunset, and the weather was perfect. We also saw a few beavers.

Fun hike with the family. A couple spots you can branch off and walk down to the river.

Hiked the Ford Loop and Brooks Hill trails on a cloudy November day. Did not see a single deer (despite all the comments from other hikers about the number of deer they saw) but did see a bald eagle flying along the Monocacy River. The Ford Loop Trail takes you down by the river (very easy trail) while the Brooks Hill Trail takes you up on top of Brooks Hill (duh) and through a nice Oak forest. This walk was a little tougher since you had a slight climb up to the top. Put the two trails together and you have a nice 3-mile loop trail.

Lot of deer. My dog enjoyed it. Parts of trail not clear. Watch out

Was a nice trail. Got lost at the overview- trail mark not too clear,but all good in the end.

Pretty at sunset. Nice little loop for trail running. Deer, cows, a beautiful old house. Going back for a sunset pano :)

Lovely spot. Not very challenging if you're looking to get a cardio workout but a great loop hike. Also, if you walk with a dog be prepared for 100's of deer. My dog spent the entire hike trying to get off that leash!
I went on New Year's day and the main entrance wasn't open. Several cars were parked in front of the locked gate.

I really enjoyed this one. veri pretty, and a nice trail. There are several other sections to this park. I think 5 total. I did this one and two others and only took about 3 hours. Make sure you have your camera!

Great trail, love taking our dogs every nice weekend.