Switchback Trail - McKeldin Area - Patapsco State Park

Switchback Trail - McKeldin Area - Patapsco State Park is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marriottsville, MD that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Ellicott City, MD: Travel west along Interstate 70 several miles taking exit 83. Head north approximately 4 miles on Marriottsville Road to reach the state park entrance. Parking is available immediately after the contact station.

A very nice, fairly easy mountain bike trail that offered everything I wanted--good views, well maintained trail, and enough variety to offer a challenge. Very few hikers and nearly no bikers meant I had the trail almost all to myself. Nice scenic ride...I'll definitely do it again.

Pretty but populated.

Nice trail. Heavy traffic!

My usual hiking spot is Shenandoah but I just didn't have time for the drive to and back on Saturday so I checked out this place 30 minutes from my house. I was really quite pleasantly surprised by this park. It was a great hike with everything I look for: rugged, steep trails, some great scenery and a reasonable distance from my house. Great old growth, tall trees, boulders, rapids, waterfall. It was very reminiscent of being in the Blue Ridge at some points.
Only criticism is...I'm glad I brought a map. Trails are a little confusing for a first timer. Fortunately this park is no where near as large as Shenandoah so getting lost is no big deal. I'll definitely be a frequent visitor to this park from now on.

I did the switchback trail and really enjoyed it. Great hike for the hot summer days because the tree canopy keeps things cool along the majority of the trail. Will definitely do it again. I just walked this last time but will be taking my bike next time as the trails look really fun for bikes.

Nice trail. We combined it with the trail to the rapids which ran along the river.

Switchback/Plantation Hike

This is a really nice hike completely in the woods with some river exposure. I started on the trail on a narrow path across from a small non-official parking area on Marriottsville Road just across the river just before the entrance to the McKeldin Area of the Patapsco State Park on the right. The trail the narrow path leads to is the Switchback Trail and I went to the right. Not long after you've been on the trail you come to the Patapsco River on your right. You're down in the valley for a short while and then you start to ascend up a nicely cleared path with a smaller creek on your left that runs down to the river. If you bear to the right at a fork where there is a shelter on your left it takes you up to a park road and directly across is the Plantation Trail. I followed the official vehicle use only road until I came to another fork and I choose the left. It descends a bit then starts to ascend up through the woodland until you come to a shelter on the right. At that point you're on a paved asphalt road that runs along other shelters if you stay to the right and eventually you come to a ranger station on the right. If you go pass the station you'll come to three trails one of which is the Switchback Trail on your right. That takes you down to the place where I started my hike. It ends up being about 2.6 miles. I did that same loop two times in about an hour and a half clocking in at 5.1 miles. If you hear gun shots don't worry because there is a shooting range within earshot, no pun intended.

Great trail. Leads to lots of other trails so if you get tired half way you can cut across through another trail back to where you parked. Avoid the park 24 hours after rain though. Otherwise lots of puddles!

There are a ton of different trails you can take in this area. Not sure which ones the other raters took, but we took parts of Tall Poplar and Plantation Trail and it was definitely moderate. Tons of uphills and stretches where you have to walk single file. A lot of traffic too, bikes and horses, looong line to get into the park (which was $6). All in all, nothing super special.

Loved the trail. Easy walk with beautiful scenery. 8 year old did it without me and loved it too. No complaints.

not difficult at all. definitely a relaxed hike. well marked and cleared trails. the maps they have posted are pretty shitty though so plan what you want to do ahead of time.

This was a nice flat trail. We brought our two dogs and had a great time. We did run into one snake so just watch where you are walking!

Good trail for the family. The kids enjoyed it a lot. We walked this one but it would have been fine for our all terrain stroller.

Great hike and challenging enough for someone like me who is just starting out. Some nice scenery and mostly easy terrain.

Great scenery. Much of the time near the river. Would go back again!!!

Nice trail for a long walk, but definitely the easy side of moderate. I didn't really find it challenging at all.