Avalon Loop Trail

Avalon Loop Trail is a 20.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Baltimore, MD that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This loop covers the majority of the Avalon area, with multiple ruins, waterfalls and other artifacts to find along the way. You will see some settler homes (two of them) one with a dated gas pump 1930s era as well as two old possible outhouses that are probably state park buildings (old ones). This hike also features the Cascade falls area where you can view some of the best falls in the state! The falls are in a valley area and very secluded. A side hike loop is added for length, and adds some more ruins for some old piping fixtures and a barrel. Going over the swinging bridge we find the ruins of the "superlative" company along the railroad tracks. More artifacts along the side of the road, as well as railroad bridges, tunnels, and aqueducts.

is this trail still open as of 11/17?

A reply to Fareed Chishty Question:
Grist Mill Trail & River Rd. to the Swinging Bridge is all Blacktop. You can walk your bike across the bridge. If you are doing any other trails you indeed need a Good Mountain Bike.

this was a great trail. we only managed to get just under 9 miles completed. took about 4 hours, taking a 30 minute break for lunch. next time we need to start very early. will probably take close to 8-9 hours to hike the whole thing. I like the varying terrain. can't wait to finish the whole thing. bring lots of water.!

I have a question about this being good for Road Bikes? Is this really good for road bikes?

Nice view. The route is clear. Just follow the marks painted on the trees.

Trail was good and we will go again. Lots of roots and stones within the paths. No road noise on most of the paths we took. Sad that previous patrons have desecrated the trees by carving graffiti. There was broken glass in places.

Good, long hike. Terrain is rocky, muddy, mountainous - and yet I got passed by kids, older people. Anyway! The problem I found wasn't that the trails weren't well marked - they're pretty well blazed - it's that because so many of them wind back and forth alongside a steep hill, it can be very easy to be unsure if you're going the right way, even if you're confident you're on the right trail. If I had an EveryTrail app on my phone (it's not available in the App Store), maybe that would have changed things, but I got myself turned around a few times. Still, the views are top notch, and the whole park is well maintained. I saw actual wildlife, which is sort of rare for popular parks (particularly on a holiday).

Really enjoyed the hike but with this being. My 1st trip I found the signage not very directive. I thought I was going on Avalon Trail but when I arrived at the entrance point it said Morning "something" trail. Very confusing!! But overall it was a great hike but would have never been able to get out of the trail without this app!

Very awesome trail. Highly recommend.

It's great the only thing is NO TRASH CANS!!! You allow dogs but you don't have trash cans for the doggie bags to be disposed and that's inconvenient. That'll be the only thing I would change. Other than that it was great. Hard enough to make it fun but easy enough to enjoy and relax.

Easy but challenging for someone out of shape as myself. Lots a huge hills to climb up. Love this entire park.

Very nice trails. Interesting terrain for the area - I tend to like rocky trails.

I didn't care for it. The steep trek in wasn't worth the hike to me. However my son likes the railroad tracks and took great shots of the tunnel. Eh. We may go again. The people we met on the trail were all very nice.